The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 May 2024, 09:29 AM   #31
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
The Omega won’t scratch the itch. Daytona 100%

With watches, heart over head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For this reason only, you should get the Daytona. If it were me, I like the looks of the Speedy much more. I don’t get the Daytona hype, but I love most all Speedmasters.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 09:50 AM   #32
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster, I like the spacing and alignment of the subdials more than modern Daytonas.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Dynamite_Kid19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 12:34 PM   #33
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
To be honest, if I liked the look and feel of the Omega on the strap, I would just a Daytona on a strap.
I love the Daytona on oyster Larry. Problem is , we are talking double the price. Literally. Just can’t justify a full PM Daytona regardless of the mental gymnastics. Trust me, I’ve tried.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 12:36 PM   #34
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
I'd go Daytona only because I prefer Rolex over Omega even though I'm a huge fan of PM.
Old 19 May 2024, 11:37 PM   #35
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
I love the Daytona on oyster Larry. Problem is , we are talking double the price. Literally. Just can’t justify a full PM Daytona regardless of the mental gymnastics. Trust me, I’ve tried.
Gotcha. Well, I think the Omega is the better looker, but that comes with the caveat I have no idea how their strap fits/feels, which would be either the deal maker...or breaker. Good luck and keep us posted.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 12:51 AM   #36
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Id choose the Daytona and put it in a rubber or leather strap.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 02:35 AM   #37
bp1000
"TRF" Member

100% moonshine gold speedy

They are sublime. Especially the champagne dial with black sub dials.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 02:49 AM   #38
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Daytona all the way
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 03:07 AM   #39
Loosetoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
100% moonshine gold speedy

They are sublime. Especially the champagne dial with black sub dials.
This is a beautiful watch.

I once owned a TT Daytona. One of two watches I have ever traded. Two tone is just not for me.
Loosetoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 03:58 AM   #40
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Easy decision for me. Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 06:04 AM   #41
sambb
"TRF" Member

SS speedmaster + TT sub bluesy for me - preowned. get both and love them ... Since you already have a SS, i would avoid the daytona TT and get somethign different. Maybe TT GMT
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 06:12 AM   #42
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Most on this platform will say Daytona but Speedy is way better watch and it looks better!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 01:38 PM   #43
Politiceaux
"TRF" Member

Speedy here by a mile.
Politiceaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 04:38 PM   #44
karleone
"TRF" Member

I am usually in the Daytona camp but not a fan of TT and the speedy is stunning and great value. The only downside of the speedy is that it’s not waterproof
karleone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 08:06 PM   #45
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
I am usually in the Daytona camp but not a fan of TT and the speedy is stunning and great value. The only downside of the speedy is that it’s not waterproof
It’s rated to 50 metres.

It states that in the specs and mine passes the 6 Bar pressure test.

I would choose the TT Daytona for the long term GD.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 12:42 AM   #46
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

It sounds like your heart is on the Daytona, so trust that. Getting a value proposition out of luxury goods is a fool's errand.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 02:15 AM   #47
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, OP41, DJ x 4
I'd go Daytona. I have always liked the TT Daytona with white dial. Its actually my favorite Daytona.
Lightsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 03:16 AM   #48
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Unless you can get the full bracelet of that Speedmaster, I'd opt for the two tone Daytona.

I think I've read you say that you're a pilot. I think the two tone would look great with the uniform!
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 05:10 AM   #49
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenDelicate View Post
"Truth be told, my heart still says Daytona but that logic thing is trying to pull me the other way."

Heart: 1. Logic: 0.
^^
This. Go with what you really want
Old 21 May 2024, 09:37 AM   #50
Dave O
"TRF" Member

First off, as others have said, you need to go with your heart or else in the end you will still yearn for the one you love.

That being said, my thoughts on the TT Daytona. I owned one (purchased from my AD) and traded it in (at my AD) for a RG Daytona on OF, the Daytona of my dreams. I purchased the TT Daytona as I thought it would scratch my itch for a Daytona. It didn't. Not that I don't like TT watches. I do. I have three of them. But what I found with the TT Daytona was it was a scratch magnet. Within a day the bezel had hair line scratches from just cleaning it. The PCL are also scratch magnets. So I put it on an OF but this still didn't scratch my itch for a ceramic bezel Daytona, as this was truly the one I wanted. So if you really want a Daytona, but are settling on a TT, don't. Wait until you have to money for the one you really want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2922.1.jpg (202.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5113.1.jpg (292.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6140.1.jpg (247.6 KB, 81 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 03:32 PM   #51
Guppydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
First off, as others have said, you need to go with your heart or else in the end you will still yearn for the one you love.

That being said, my thoughts on the TT Daytona. I owned one (purchased from my AD) and traded it in (at my AD) for a RG Daytona on OF, the Daytona of my dreams. I purchased the TT Daytona as I thought it would scratch my itch for a Daytona. It didn't. Not that I don't like TT watches. I do. I have three of them. But what I found with the TT Daytona was it was a scratch magnet. Within a day the bezel had hair line scratches from just cleaning it. The PCL are also scratch magnets. So I put it on an OF but this still didn't scratch my itch for a ceramic bezel Daytona, as this was truly the one I wanted. So if you really want a Daytona, but are settling on a TT, don't. Wait until you have to money for the one you really want.
Thanks for the post Dave. To be honest, those pics of the one you didn't keep actually drew me closer. I think it's beautiful, although the scratch thing is something I hadn't considered. I have friends with the TT Santos who have said the same thing.

The thing is, the one I really want just might be the TT. Would I take the OysterFlex full PM if they were the same cost? Sure. Like I mentioned, I have good income, but not really wealth. The difference between the two would cost me upwards of a million dollars when you factor in the ensuing divorce.

I just want to try gold. It's an itch I want to scratch somewhat normalized by the time I spend here on TRF. I do love the speedy, but that would be three 3861's once my new white dial is delivered. Ugh...

All these comments have been very informative and helpful, I appreciate them.
Old 21 May 2024, 03:42 PM   #52
IFlyPlanes
2024 Pledge Member

As an owner of both, I prefer the Speedy.

IFlyPlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 09:50 PM   #53
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice picture.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2024, 11:42 PM   #54
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Thanks for the post Dave. To be honest, those pics of the one you didn't keep actually drew me closer. I think it's beautiful, although the scratch thing is something I hadn't considered. I have friends with the TT Santos who have said the same thing.

The thing is, the one I really want just might be the TT. Would I take the OysterFlex full PM if they were the same cost? Sure. Like I mentioned, I have good income, but not really wealth. The difference between the two would cost me upwards of a million dollars when you factor in the ensuing divorce.

I just want to try gold. It's an itch I want to scratch somewhat normalized by the time I spend here on TRF. I do love the speedy, but that would be three 3861's once my new white dial is delivered. Ugh...

All these comments have been very informative and helpful, I appreciate them.
Something to consider. Before I purchased my RG Daytona I too thought the cost of a PM watch was just too much to swallow. I had always told my SA that a PM watch was a bit out of my price range. Then one day he had a very good discussion with me. He knew I had been purchasing a watch or two a year from him. He stated that if I had added up all the watches I had purchased from him over the past few years the cost of a PM watch was not necessarily out of the question. He mentioned that sometimes one thing of quality beats out quantity. So I went home and added up my watch purchases over the past year. And low and behold I had spent well above the cost of an OF Daytona. It was just the overall cost of one watch that had my mind set that I couldn't afford it, even though I had already spent much more for the other watches I had purchased that year. When I discussed it with my wife she thought I was crazy spending that much on one watch. But then I told her how much I had already spent on multiple watches and she then understood.

The following day I went back to my AD and told him exactly what PM watch I wanted. Four months later it was on my wrist. Out of my twelve watches, which includes two speedies, one being a 50th Snoopy, it is far and above my most favorite watch in my collection. A full PM watch just does something that none of the others can.

What also helped was the fact that I traded in my TT Daytona which brought down the cost of the watch significantly. Is there a watch you could trade in? The current cost of the TT is $19,500. A PM Daytona on OF is $30,600. If you traded a watch or two in it would be a wash. Food for thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6140.1.jpg (247.6 KB, 56 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 03:05 AM   #55
Guppydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Something to consider. Before I purchased my RG Daytona I too thought the cost of a PM watch was just too much to swallow. I had always told my SA that a PM watch was a bit out of my price range. Then one day he had a very good discussion with me. He knew I had been purchasing a watch or two a year from him. He stated that if I had added up all the watches I had purchased from him over the past few years the cost of a PM watch was not necessarily out of the question. He mentioned that sometimes one thing of quality beats out quantity. So I went home and added up my watch purchases over the past year. And low and behold I had spent well above the cost of an OF Daytona. It was just the overall cost of one watch that had my mind set that I couldn't afford it, even though I had already spent much more for the other watches I had purchased that year. When I discussed it with my wife she thought I was crazy spending that much on one watch. But then I told her how much I had already spent on multiple watches and she then understood.

The following day I went back to my AD and told him exactly what PM watch I wanted. Four months later it was on my wrist. Out of my twelve watches, which includes two speedies, one being a 50th Snoopy, it is far and above my most favorite watch in my collection. A full PM watch just does something that none of the others can.

What also helped was the fact that I traded in my TT Daytona which brought down the cost of the watch significantly. Is there a watch you could trade in? The current cost of the TT is $19,500. A PM Daytona on OF is $30,600. If you traded a watch or two in it would be a wash. Food for thought.

Darn you Dave ! (J/K).

The cogs are moving again. I just went and looked at my collection. There are a few pieces I never wear , and they could help subsidize a PM Daytona. The thing is I was calculating the Daytona at gray prices. I’m not sure I have the clout to pull off any Daytona
Old 22 May 2024, 07:39 AM   #56
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Big Mac or Whopper? It really comes down to your particular taste.
Old 22 May 2024, 09:58 AM   #57
wot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Daytona FYI fact:
You don’t have to keep the Daytona pushers screwed in ever. They have nothing to do with its WR. Even when the pushers are unscrewed, the Daytona has a higher WR than the Speedy.

What?! Really? How do you know this?
wot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2024, 10:01 AM   #58
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
The Omega won’t scratch the itch. Daytona 100%

With watches, heart over head.
100000% Do. Not. Settle. Keep your eyes on the prize. A better fiscal deal will be initially sweet, then quickly sour when you see a TT Daytona on someone else's wrist.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote