The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 May 2024, 12:28 PM   #211
dg8dg7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Look, I don’t hate the Speedy. It’s just not substantial enough to compete against the Daytona. Put it up against the Tudor Chrono anyday though.

I would even like to own a Speedy eventually. But it’s not going to be as a Daytona replacement, it will be as a beater watch. I don’t mean that as a pejorative either. Just a good watch I can bang around and not worry too much about.

I would say it will be my “go anywhere do anything” watch but I won’t be able to let it get anywhere near water of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you might be surprised with the Speedie. I had it as a "one day" addition to the collection until I got a deal I couldn't pass up from my AD. It was bought on a whim and has become a watch I don't think I could ever let part from my collection. It is such a better weatable watch than the Daytona imo, goes with a bracelet, a NATO, and a leather like nobodys business, and is absolutely fine in water - I wouldn't dive in it, but I wouldn't dive in any of my watches so it's a bit of a mute point.

Also, it totally blows the Tudor out of the water on the wrist. Very different wearing experience, tons of provenance, dress up and and down in a way you can't with the Tudor, just better. Again, in my opinion lol. I will give that the Tudor has a date though!

I went the route of a 1861 with an updated 3861 bracelet, and think they are a steel on the used market. I'd go that route to give yourself a low cost test drive of the Speedie. Who knows, you might come around

Sent from my SM-S916W using Tapatalk
dg8dg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 12:37 PM   #212
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg8dg7 View Post
I think you might be surprised with the Speedie. I had it as a "one day" addition to the collection until I got a deal I couldn't pass up from my AD. It was bought on a whim and has become a watch I don't think I could ever let part from my collection. It is such a better weatable watch than the Daytona imo, goes with a bracelet, a NATO, and a leather like nobodys business, and is absolutely fine in water - I wouldn't dive in it, but I wouldn't dive in any of my watches so it's a bit of a mute point.

Also, it totally blows the Tudor out of the water on the wrist. Very different wearing experience, tons of provenance, dress up and and down in a way you can't with the Tudor, just better. Again, in my opinion lol. I will give that the Tudor has a date though!

I went the route of a 1861 with an updated 3861 bracelet, and think they are a steel on the used market. I'd go that route to give yourself a low cost test drive of the Speedie. Who knows, you might come around

Sent from my SM-S916W using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice on the 1861. It can get a bit overwhelming with all the references over the years and the really hard to follow reference numbers Omega uses.

Will add that to my list. I really do look forward to owning a Speedy one day.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 06:08 PM   #213
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

White dial Omega moon watch would be my pick. Prefer the aesthetic of it over the Daytona and the black dial moon watch.

Personally, I find the black dial moon watch a little too monochromatic and bland.

The Daytona never appealed to me. Although the black dial SS Daytona has this sharp, menacing look about it.

thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 06:15 PM   #214
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
so the whole pricing and value retention thing is a weird point.
Good point.
If i may add.

The Daytona has a few things going for it that is appealing to the masses.
Firstly, it has exceptionally good water resistance which is desirable in the market.
Secondly, in modern days it has an Automatic movement which is generally well regarded in the watch community and more importantly the Automatic part is desirable in the market.
Thirdly, it has Rolex on the dial and is riding high on hype.

If it weren't for the above, the Daytona doesn't make sense unless one wants the bling as it actually loses on every other metric.
In practical terms the Speedy pretty much wins hands down.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 06:17 PM   #215
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandseirolexguy View Post
White dial Omega moon watch would be my pick. Prefer the aesthetic of it over the Daytona and the black dial moon watch.

Personally, I find the black dial moon watch a little too monochromatic and bland.

The Daytona never appealed to me. Although the black dial SS Daytona has this sharp, menacing look about it.

The white dialed Speedy has a certain amount of understated elegance.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 07:49 PM   #216
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is a genuinely absurd thing to say.

The Speedmaster is one of the most important chronographs of all time alongside the El Primero. The Daytona is a fantastic movement and watch, but comes nowhere close on a historic level.
For someone with your handle, "the Daytona is a fantastic movement" is a highly problematic if not genuinely absurd thing to say. Even more so as you reference the El Primero.

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 08:29 PM   #217
Toptimes
"TRF" Member

its hard to beat the cool factor of a watch that has actually been to the moon, plus, Omega still manages to offer a fairly reasonable price compared to some other luxury brands.
Toptimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 03:54 AM   #218
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwai View Post
For someone with your handle, "the Daytona is a fantastic movement" is a highly problematic if not genuinely absurd thing to say. Even more so as you reference the El Primero.

Cheers
Marc
Obviously when I say Daytona there I mean the 4130 is a good movement.

And my point is that the 4130 is a great automatic chronograph movement but it isn't the pioneer that the El Primero was.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 04:11 AM   #219
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Obviously when I say Daytona there I mean the 4130 is a good movement.

And my point is that the 4130 is a great automatic chronograph movement but it isn't the pioneer that the El Primero was.

That’s how I understood you as well.

Old 20 May 2024, 04:21 AM   #220
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Although the Daytona has a movement that I would rate in the top 5 ever produced to date. And today it must be one of the most hyped Rolex watches but the hype surrounding the Daytona as today many buy the hype just to wear it. As for the Omega yes it too has a fine movement but less hype but only Buzz and Armstrong are the only people to say what the first watch on the moon was. IMO it was most likely a speedy with the Cal 321,there were other readings that a Waltham and a Rolex GMT were used as a back up.But everything I have read my only conclusion is that the Omega Speedmaster had the Cal 321 movement on the lunar landing based on the Lemania 27CHRO-C12 and the only true moon watch.

And its documented that Jack Swigert's wore a Rolex GMT-Master in the main lunar orbit ship, plus there was some kind of Bulova watch/clock somewhere in the spacecraft, but the claim that a Bulova time piece was on the Moon IMHO is little more than pure marketing by them. What I have read Aldrin's speedmaster was the first on the lunar surface, so its logical that he could have worn the same watch he had issued for the Gemini X11, IMO possibly a 1966 speedy when they first put professional on dial REF ST105012, perhaps the later 1968 ST 145.012 model was left in the ship as a back up timer for computer. But one of the most important things on board the Apollo lunar mission were the mechanical watches no matter what the brand.

Speedmaster's relationship with outer space,began when they went to Corrigans shop a Texas dealer in 1961.And the NASA buyer bought 5 different brands of chronographs and some failed the NASA test, the Omega Speedmaster was passed mainly IMHO because it was manual wind. NASA tested a number of other Speedmasters in the 1960s prior to Gemini Apollo flight. All these watches were before they changed to the Cal 861 movement, NASA bought another large quantity of Speedmasters in the later 60s,and in 1966 Omega added the word Professional to the speedy. It has been said that Neil Armstrong,had a problem with his watch,and did not wear one on the moons surface. I believe Aldrin's watch was lost or most probably stolen in transit somewhere after the mission.But lets remember this fact today, your average smart phone or home computer is several hundred times more powerful than the one used on the moon mission so a simple mechanical watch was most important.
I heard Aldrin said he had a 'break in' at his home when asked for the watch back by NASA. If this wathc were to be found; we would know for sure. The first watch on the moon.
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 04:25 AM   #221
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you much appreciated but knowledge and information is far down the list of priorities on forum now.
second this- great information posted.
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 09:14 AM   #222
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
Quote:
Although the Daytona has a movement that I would rate in the top 5 ever produced to date. And today it must be one of the most hyped Rolex watches but the hype surrounding the Daytona as today many buy the hype just to wear it. As for the Omega yes it too has a fine movement but less hype but only Buzz and Armstrong are the only people to say what the first watch on the moon was. IMO it was most likely a speedy with the Cal 321, there were other readings that a Waltham and a Rolex GMT were used as a back up.But everything I have read my only conclusion is that the Omega Speedmaster had the Cal 321 movement on the lunar landing based on the Lemania 27CHRO-C12 and the only true moon watch.

And its documented that Jack Swigert's wore a Rolex GMT-Master in the main lunar orbit ship, plus there was some kind of Bulova watch/clock somewhere in the spacecraft, but the claim that a Bulova time piece was on the Moon IMHO is little more than pure marketing by them. What I have read Aldrin's speedmaster was the first on the lunar surface, so its logical that he could have worn the same watch he had issued for the Gemini X11, IMO possibly a 1966 speedy when they first put professional on dial REF ST105012, perhaps the later 1968 ST 145.012 model was left in the ship as a back up timer for computer. But one of the most important things on board the Apollo lunar mission were the mechanical watches no matter what the brand.

Speedmaster's relationship with outer space,began when they went to Corrigans shop a Texas dealer in 1961.And the NASA buyer bought 5 different brands of chronographs and some failed the NASA test, the Omega Speedmaster was passed mainly IMHO because it was manual wind. NASA tested a number of other Speedmasters in the 1960s prior to Gemini Apollo flight. All these watches were before they changed to the Cal 861 movement, NASA bought another large quantity of Speedmasters in the later 60s,and in 1966 Omega added the word Professional to the speedy. It has been said that Neil Armstrong,had a problem with his watch,and did not wear one on the moons surface. I believe Aldrin's watch was lost or most probably stolen in transit somewhere after the mission.But lets remember this fact today, your average smart phone or home computer is several hundred times more powerful than the one used on the moon mission so a simple mechanical watch was most important.
I don't know if PADI will see this, as his comment was from 2.5 years ago, but let me set the record straight. I have known Buzz for nearly 25 years and, in May 2005, I sat down with him to discuss this topic with him and lay the matter to rest. Buzz handled my 105.003-65 "Ed White" Speedy for comparison and we discussed the watch he wore on the Moon. At that time, Chuck Maddox had written a very scholarly article on "Which watch was the first to be worn on the Moon?" which ended with "The only person that knows for sure is Buzz Aldrin, and nobody has ever asked him." So, when I was on a trip with Buzz, I brought my old Speedy and I asked him.

Among the takeaways:

1. Buzz started the conversation by saying "You know, nobody has ever asked me that question."

2. Buzz specifically said his watch was different from the "Ed White" Speedy because his had crown guards and "more writing on the dial," i.e. the word "PROFESSIONAL."

3. Buzz told me he and Neil decided to leave Neil's watch in the lunar module because the lunar module's computer was unreliable and they needed a mechanical time piece to safely leave the Moon. They did not know for sure what the lunar environment would do to their watches, and they were unwilling to take the chance that both of their watches would be destroyed on the lunar surface, so they left Neil's watch inside when they went outside.

4. Buzz specifically said he wore the same watch on Gemini XII in November 1966 that he wore on Apollo 11 in July 1969. Based on this and the other information he gave me, the watch could only have been a 105.012 Speedy, probably a 105.012-66.

After I had this conversation with Buzz, I immediately purchased a 105.012-66 Speedy and then I emailed Chuck Maddox with the new information I had learned by asking Buzz.
Old 20 May 2024, 09:17 AM   #223
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtalk View Post
I heard Aldrin said he had a 'break in' at his home when asked for the watch back by NASA. If this wathc were to be found; we would know for sure. The first watch on the moon.
Incorrect. The watch was lost when it was mailed to the National Air and Space Museum. The package never arrived.
Old 20 May 2024, 11:23 AM   #224
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfiend View Post
I don't know if PADI will see this, as his comment was from 2.5 years ago, but let me set the record straight. I have known Buzz for nearly 25 years and, in May 2005, I sat down with him to discuss this topic with him and lay the matter to rest. Buzz handled my 105.003-65 "Ed White" Speedy for comparison and we discussed the watch he wore on the Moon. At that time, Chuck Maddox had written a very scholarly article on "Which watch was the first to be worn on the Moon?" which ended with "The only person that knows for sure is Buzz Aldrin, and nobody has ever asked him." So, when I was on a trip with Buzz, I brought my old Speedy and I asked him.

Among the takeaways:

1. Buzz started the conversation by saying "You know, nobody has ever asked me that question."

2. Buzz specifically said his watch was different from the "Ed White" Speedy because his had crown guards and "more writing on the dial," i.e. the word "PROFESSIONAL."

3. Buzz told me he and Neil decided to leave Neil's watch in the lunar module because the lunar module's computer was unreliable and they needed a mechanical time piece to safely leave the Moon. They did not know for sure what the lunar environment would do to their watches, and they were unwilling to take the chance that both of their watches would be destroyed on the lunar surface, so they left Neil's watch inside when they went outside.

4. Buzz specifically said he wore the same watch on Gemini XII in November 1966 that he wore on Apollo 11 in July 1969. Based on this and the other information he gave me, the watch could only have been a 105.012 Speedy, probably a 105.012-66.

After I had this conversation with Buzz, I immediately purchased a 105.012-66 Speedy and then I emailed Chuck Maddox with the new information I had learned by asking Buzz.
Amazing post!
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 12:56 PM   #225
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Among the takeaways:

Epic

Thanks for sharing

Old 20 May 2024, 08:52 PM   #226
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:

Among the takeaways:

Thanks for sharing
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 11:18 PM   #227
yetione
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Among the takeaways:

Wow! Thank you for sharing.
yetione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 07:11 AM   #228
deeman54
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN/126610LN
No one will look at your watch more than you. When I look at my Daytona I feel like I’ve made it. Maybe the moon watch will do the same for you. Obviously the moon watch has more history than the Daytona when it comes to space travel, but….. I don’t see the same energy with its bulova counterpart. Buy what makes you feel good. For me it’s the Daytona by a mile and I’m not into Motorsport at all. It’s just a sexy sleek sports chrono with amazing “nearly perfect” proportions, accurate and water resistant. It’s hard to take this thing off.

deeman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 06:32 PM   #229
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I had an opportunity to try on a display model Speedy Pro with the white dial in Florence this week. For reference, I own a 3861 Speedy as well as a white dial 116500 and white Black Bay Chronograph. The white Speedy is stunning on the wrist, much better than pics. My 3861 is Hesalite, which gives a distinct tool-watch and vintage vibe. The white Speedy’s sapphire sandwhich has a noticeable heft by comparison and far more luxurious feel to the piece. It is a very good comparison and match for the 116500 IMO, and would be a difficult choice for me to pick only one to own. The consultant at the Omega boutique indicated the white dial will not be limited and after this first year rush on them that they should be as readily available as the black dial.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 08:58 PM   #230
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:

Among the takeaways:

travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 09:38 PM   #231
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Among the takeaways:

brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 11:13 PM   #232
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:

Among the takeaways:

Please don’t post if you have nothing substantive to add.

Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote