The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 November 2019, 09:36 AM   #31
Star Ferry
Banned

Recently downgraded from platinum to gold. You don't need to wait for renewal time to change cards -- they'll adjust the costs pro rata

as I hadn't been using my platinum card much, all they offered was 30k additional points if I held onto it for 3 more months (and spent more than $4000 during that time)
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 03:39 PM   #32
Burlington
"TRF" Member

The travel benefits and no quibble insurance from AMEX make the fees worth it alone.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 04:21 PM   #33
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Half the reason I switched from amex gold to chase SP is that most watch stores would not take the amex lol I don't travel for work at all.
Old 1 December 2019, 01:35 AM   #34
kearez
"TRF" Member

I do a fair bit of traveling for work, so I have the Chase Sapphire preferred. Plus all the points x2 for food and hotels adds up quickly and zero transaction fees for international.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 01:49 AM   #35
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I only pay with gold doubloons.
Old 1 December 2019, 01:59 AM   #36
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
"an absurd number of expensive watches"

Which one of you guys was he talking about?!?
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 02:05 AM   #37
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
I only used Amex Platinum for a year and cancelled after that as the annual fees were crazy. I feel that I get more bang for buck and privileges from my HSBC signature Visa than an Amex. The discounts available and credit card points are more attractive. Most vendors will charge extra here in HK if you were to use an Amex card. So...bye bye Amex...nothing special here...
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 07:29 AM   #38
jamie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
Quite a few of my buddies have centurion cards and they admit it’s all for show.

The perks between it and the platinum are minimal and not worth the $15,000 first year and $5,000 every year...at least for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's $5k to start and $2k per year after that. I've had it for 10 years, not sure it's worth it.
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2019, 07:47 AM   #39
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie View Post
It's $5k to start and $2k per year after that. I've had it for 10 years, not sure it's worth it.

$10,000 initiation and then $5,000 for the first year= $15,000 the first year.

$5,000 each year after that.

Here is a copy of the cardmember agreement for confirmation.

Old 1 December 2019, 07:54 AM   #40
THC

Watch: 16610M
^^^^ That is insane imo...
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 03:19 AM   #41
jamie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
$10,000 initiation and then $5,000 for the first year= $15,000 the first year.

$5,000 each year after that.

Here is a copy of the cardmember agreement for confirmation.

I paid $5k initiation. Now pay $2k per year.
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 12:59 PM   #42
CashGap
"TRF" Member

I have the Platinum and Business Platinum, literally “No Brainer” great value cards I would keep even if the fees went up.

The annual benefits of airline credit, Uber, Dell, Saks, GOES easily cover the annual fee right out of the gate.

Keep in mind, a membership rewards point is worth AT LEAST 1.6 cents, and many times amount that if spent for premium travel. No bigger rip off than the cash back cards that offer a fixed penny or penny and a half with no way to get five or ten times that in value.

I definitely have no need for a concierge searching the internet to find something when I have the internet.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 02:09 PM   #43
rbox
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Gold has been the best value for us. And now that they’re metal too, it gives that same luxury feel.

rbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 06:31 PM   #44
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Just a thought but I bet apple eats amex lunch as consumers move to Apple Pay for most transactions. I know I am annoyed when I have to fumble with my credit card. Most of my online purchases are made via Apple Pay and I could not care less who the bank is behind the 30 day interest free loan.
Old 31 December 2019, 01:20 AM   #45
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Ever since Delta Crown Room starting requiring a Delta ticket to get in with Amex Platinum it's not worth it for me. I rarely fly Delta because almost every flight I take out of Tampa is a connection through Atlanta. If they build more Centurion Lounges then I may reconsider.
Old 31 December 2019, 04:16 AM   #46
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I’m sure I’ll never need the black card.
I really don’t even need the platinum card, but they only let platinum and black card holders in the lounge at Philly...
Old 31 December 2019, 05:10 PM   #47
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
I have had it for a few years but I'm thinking about cancelling it... not that many perks that justify the annual fees. They do give a better service than Platinum. I actually keep both and pay 2 anual fees for them.
Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 07:15 PM   #48
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
15.000 membership fee the first year. Um, no thank you.
Old 10 January 2020, 11:18 AM   #49
richard371
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I use the sapphire reserve and Amex platinum. I use all the benefits and we have a Centurion lounge here in SF so the 1000 a year for both works out.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 02:04 PM   #50
Xeron2
"TRF" Member

The card used to be very handy and extremely customer service focused. Since they went to this POD ( multiple people) instead of your single relationship manager in 2020, the card has tanked for service and concierge. It Literally went from a 10 to a -10. Don’t believe the hype about getting into restaurants ( they use RESY) or outstanding concierge service sourcing rare and difficult items etc ( google search now). The good days are gone I’m sad to say. They actually offered users card art and a stupid wristband for charging things as well. Who ever took over in 2020 is out of touch with their customer base. Caveat Emptor
Xeron2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 02:34 PM   #51
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeron2 View Post
The card used to be very handy and extremely customer service focused. Since they went to this POD ( multiple people) instead of your single relationship manager in 2020, the card has tanked for service and concierge. It Literally went from a 10 to a -10. Don’t believe the hype about getting into restaurants ( they use RESY) or outstanding concierge service sourcing rare and difficult items etc ( google search now). The good days are gone I’m sad to say. They actually offered users card art and a stupid wristband for charging things as well. Who ever took over in 2020 is out of touch with their customer base. Caveat Emptor
Maybe this is more dictated by the team you are assigned. I have had nothing but a wonderful experience with my Centurion and the team who takes care of me. I often travel internationally for work, the Centurion team sets an itinerary and makes reservations at all the best restaurants in the city. Had them arrange an entire 3 week trip in Asia last year and couldn't be happier with the outcome, they called me to better understand my eccentric tastes so they could cater an itinerary for exactly what I was looking for. Additionally, I have enjoyed their access to exclusive events here in LA and NYC. The events are MUCH better than the ones they have historically done for when I had a platinum card.

They do use opentable and resy for reservations, however many famous restaurants do set aside seating for centurion clients, I have gotten in to some of the more difficult places in LA that have a multi-month wait list in a few days. Not to say there haven't been times when they were not able to provide access but there is only so much they can do. If you know how to leverage and use the team to your benefit they can be incredibly helpful. Do agree the prada wristband for charging is profoundly ridiculous. The equinox global membership, Delta platinum, saks $1000 annual credit, 20% back on all points, PS membership, better prices on Amex Travel IMO more than pay for the annual $5k fee.

Just my .02 from a happy client.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 03:00 PM   #52
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Before retiring, I was a tech exec for a financial services company. I used our company products. We got a lot of great employee benefits for doing so. It never made any sense for me to explore any other credit card products like that.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 06:58 PM   #53
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Maybe this is more dictated by the team you are assigned. I have had nothing but a wonderful experience with my Centurion and the team who takes care of me. I often travel internationally for work, the Centurion team sets an itinerary and makes reservations at all the best restaurants in the city. Had them arrange an entire 3 week trip in Asia last year and couldn't be happier with the outcome, they called me to better understand my eccentric tastes so they could cater an itinerary for exactly what I was looking for. Additionally, I have enjoyed their access to exclusive events here in LA and NYC. The events are MUCH better than the ones they have historically done for when I had a platinum card.

They do use opentable and resy for reservations, however many famous restaurants do set aside seating for centurion clients, I have gotten in to some of the more difficult places in LA that have a multi-month wait list in a few days. Not to say there haven't been times when they were not able to provide access but there is only so much they can do. If you know how to leverage and use the team to your benefit they can be incredibly helpful. Do agree the prada wristband for charging is profoundly ridiculous. The equinox global membership, Delta platinum, saks $1000 annual credit, 20% back on all points, PS membership, better prices on Amex Travel IMO more than pay for the annual $5k fee.

Just my .02 from a happy client.
I used Equinox years ago but then a) had condo amenities that made Equinox redundant / obsolete and then subsequently b) have a home gym. I’ve never been an Amex user myself except for my corporate card…

The decline in customer support seems to be consistent with my experience with my own Centurion equivalent card (JPM Reserve). Concierge and support overall was exceptional but then more recently has (imo) declined. Are they simply seeing less competition in the market? I’m no credit card geek so admit there is much I can learn. $5k/annual fee just seems excessive once the Equinox access is negated (which I imagine is the case for many Centurion clients). The one area my card still excels is bypassing restaurant wait lists / obtaining prime seating and possibly itinerary building (they were exceptional with the latter when I last requested one). But I usually eat at home…and with small kids rarely travel.
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 09:07 PM   #54
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Recently downgraded from platinum to gold. You don't need to wait for renewal time to change cards -- they'll adjust the costs pro rata

as I hadn't been using my platinum card much, all they offered was 30k additional points if I held onto it for 3 more months (and spent more than $4000 during that time)

I downgraded to gold too. Lounges have gotten way too crowded and full of plebes. The additional points I earn dining/food made it a no brainer as wasn’t using most of platinum perks. Prefer the retro look too.

The only person I know with a black card tried to use the concierge service as his personal assistant and that didn’t quite work out.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2024, 10:48 PM   #55
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post

I downgraded to gold too. Lounges have gotten way too crowded and full of plebes. The additional points I earn dining/food made it a no brainer as wasn’t using most of platinum perks. Prefer the retro look too.

The only person I know with a black card tried to use the concierge service as his personal assistant and that didn’t quite work out.

I get United Club through my card. Every time I enjoy those free lounges I feel like a plebe posing as a player lol.
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 12:39 PM   #56
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Forgot to add, getting 5x membership rewards points on all airline purchases (basically a 10% rebate), plus 35% points rebate on Business or First Class rewards travel... Both AMX platinums have a permanent home with me.
VictorGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 02:20 PM   #57
Andy0331

There was talk pre-Covid of Amex developing/issuing a new card between Platinum & Centurion, essentially downgrading the current Platinum and adding a few perks.

I'd like a Centurion, but wouldn't be able to get much/any use out of some of its perks, so it would largely be to satisfy my ego. Make a card that's midway between them, remove lounge access from Platinum, bump up some of the credits, etc. and it would be a winner in my book.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 05:55 PM   #58
elau1958
"TRF" Member

I travel for work every week so I guess beside the regular perks like Uber, airline/hotel credits, Clear/TSA/Global Entry, I eat and drink my fair share at the Lounge everyday. I think I probably cost them as a customer with my Platinum card.
elau1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 10:50 PM   #59
TRS1
"TRF" Member

I’ve asked AMEX twice if I can get a plastic option over the metal card and no joy. I’ve told them it’s silly and heavy and they don’t last as long as plastic as they start to delaminate and peel.
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 12:32 PM   #60
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
I’ve asked AMEX twice if I can get a plastic option over the metal card and no joy. I’ve told them it’s silly and heavy and they don’t last as long as plastic as they start to delaminate and peel.
I used to notice that, but 95% of transactions are ApplePay these days, so card looks pristine!!!

Add in the increased security of the merchant never receiving your card number! Great for when a merchant allows YADB (Yet Another Data Breach).
VictorGMT is offline   Reply With Quote