The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 August 2021, 12:41 AM   #31
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
How important is money?

As you are aware, your situation is a complex one because of all the moving parts and uncertainty. I don’t think I would leave a great job that pays well to take one for the same work for less money unless there was a compelling reason to do so. Things like children move to that city long term, I can buy my retirement home there while still working, conflict with superiors that is likely to threaten my future, or a major lifestyle change, better path to retirement, etc.
It seems like you’re in a good position as your department was axed and you’re the last man standing. If they didn’t want you, you’d be gone as well. It sounds like you’re at a market leader, and that’s pretty valuable. If not, can you move to a market leader instead of a relative start up? I don’t think I would move to a smaller riskier job without some kind of profit sharing, ownership stake, higher income, etc. Can they realistically move up into the big leagues?
You had issues with the old President, but they now have a new President, so those issues probably won’t be any worse with a new chief.
The money issue is real. Unless you think the old job was significantly overpaying you for your work, the idea of taking a 1/3 pay cut would be a deal breaker for me. I would try to negotiate that up. My wife was recruited to a new company a few years ago and unknown to them she was unhappy at the other company. She wanted to get out of sales and all of the headaches and “emergencies” that she didn’t cause, but had to fix. The new job wasn’t sales based, so she spun that angle to negotiate a much higher base salary than they initially offered. She makes less overall (maybe 20%), but is 1000% happier in her new job, and she is out of the sales management role that she was done with anyway. If you’re really serious about the job and not just spitballing some options, do formal interviews, and negotiate hard for a better package.
If everything stayed the same, and you went back to work in 2 months, in the same role, at the same pay, would you want to stay?
Does your career have a better trajectory at the new company, or more of the same at a different HQ?
Do you want your old bosses job?
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 12:46 AM   #32
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
. . . . the unofficial word is I will be brought back, and (possibly/probably) be promoted to my old boss’s job. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination but this job paid pretty well.
Quote:
My old boss has been encouraging me to quit and join him. I would enjoy the opportunity to work for him again. Here’s the thing. The salary range is a LOT less then what I was making at my company. It is more then one third (1/3) less, not too far away from half!
So here's the wheat of your situation, seperated from the chaff.
The question is one of patience. Are you willing to wait for the opportunity to take over your old boss' position, or not.

Personally, I would wait. So long as you're not starving, think the angst will be worth it. That way you'll have no regrets if the opportunity you really want was to open up and you weren't in a position to accept it.
Old 10 August 2021, 12:47 AM   #33
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Take the best package you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 12:53 AM   #34
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post

Sometimes we need a push.

I would definitely ask my current (???) boss at the current job when they intend to bring me back. If I get anything less than a "oh hey, I was about to call you, how about tomorrow?" then I'd give them an ultimatum, and move on as needed.

But that's me. At this point in my life, I value job stability over money.
Agree 100%
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 01:20 AM   #35
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I get where you're coming from my friend but I respectfully disagree. Happiness is a state of mind and has nothing to do with money or material things IMHO. Of course money is great to provide comfort to ourselves and our families, it's great to enjoy what life has to offer like travelling, living in a beautiful place, driving a nice vehicle and even having a nice watch on the wrist, but happiness comes from mental health and self-esteem IMO and not material things. The acknowledgment of who we really are, our values in life and what we do for others. Only then we can be trully happy with ourselves an any circumstance, be it in a lower social position or loaded with money. Money is great but mental health is priceless IMHO.

Wishing you good luck, Paul.
It’s okay to disagree, but half your post relates to what money provides. Even mental health can come from money, how, piece of mind, no worries about bills, family is safe. I’m not saying you need Jeff Bezos money but you’re not going to have a fulfilling life and offer your children the best opportunities if you earn $450 a week.
Heck, Paul’s dilemma doesn’t just revolve around the fact he wants to labor, money is involved, his mind wouldn’t be filled with such uncertainty ie affecting his mental health(worrying) if he had as he clearly stated, a paycheck.
Money buys happiness and piece of mind in my book. It’s the one thing I’ve never heard a person say no to.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 01:29 AM   #36
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Money and health run neck and neck…and increasingly so it’s very difficult to have health without wealth, so as long as the acquisition of the money itself doesn’t negatively contribute to health (stress, time,physical toll) get all that you can…too much is never enough.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 01:57 AM   #37
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
It’s okay to disagree, but half your post relates to what money provides. Even mental health can come from money, how, piece of mind, no worries about bills, family is safe. I’m not saying you need Jeff Bezos money but you’re not going to have a fulfilling life and offer your children the best opportunities if you earn $450 a week.
Heck, Paul’s dilemma doesn’t just revolve around the fact he wants to labor, money is involved, his mind wouldn’t be filled with such uncertainty ie affecting his mental health(worrying) if he had as he clearly stated, a paycheck.
Money buys happiness and piece of mind in my book. It’s the one thing I’ve never heard a person say no to.
Well put and once again I get what you're saying Rashid. All I'm trying to say is that if money brought happiness in itself, once you had money, ipso facto you'd be happy and that's not what happens in real life at all. Money is an instrument. Of course it is. But it's the person and what he/she does with his resources that will bring a state of mental happiness or not IMO. People tend to think that someone with less means would be less happy, but like I said on my previous post I don't believe that at all for the reasons stated above.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 03:19 AM   #38
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I thought of another factor in the math to contemplate.
How much do you really need that extra 1/3 of your income to meet your long term goals?
If you have a solid retirement account and you’ve got your nice townhouse, where maybe you want to stay long term, that extra 1/3 is less valuable to you than if you still are making up ground to get to where you want/need to be to retire.
Though maybe you don’t want to retire and can see yourself doing that job into your 70’s? I don’t see myself working past 60 and I’m fine taking some lifestyle hit to retire early.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 03:22 AM   #39
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Than you everyone for the nice comments, much to think about.

And Don, I’m shipping my stuff out today.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 03:29 AM   #40
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I don't know much about money, but I think I would do what I could to keep an ample cash flow, while continuing to look for a better opportunity.

You might have to tighten the belt a little, but you won't founder and when something else comes along, and it almost assuredly will, negotiate with the boss and if he's not in the mood, move on.

The worst catastrophes to befall me, and brother, I've had more than a few, have lead to the most promising opportunities. It sounds cliche, but it's the truth. Every cloud does have a silver lining, if you have the wherewithal to recognize it and take action.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 04:24 AM   #41
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
On an island by yourself, means nothing.
In society with family, kids, health stability and desire for Rolex ss, means everything.
Money does buy happiness contrary to cliche sayings.
Tend to agree. There are folks who manage to be happy without money, and the tradeoffs involved in making more money are often not worth it (e.g. 40 hour weeks for 200K may trump a 70 hour week for 400K).

But overall, it solves a lot of problems. Especially for children. An adult might be thrifty enough and smart enough to live well on the cheap, but kids need resources from others.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 05:05 AM   #42
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Paul, your a person who's very comfortable with high risk. You've proven that during your earlier military career. Follow the path you want but don't choose it because it's less risky. You handle risk very well and will survive the result.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 05:07 AM   #43
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I think Barrett Strong said it best

"The best things in life are free....
But you can give them to the birds and bees.....

I need money! (That's what I want)
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 05:17 AM   #44
Wools
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Well put and once again I get what you're saying Rashid. All I'm trying to say is that if money brought happiness in itself, once you had money, ipso facto you'd be happy and that's not what happens in real life at all. Money is an instrument. Of course it is. But it's the person and what he/she does with his resources that will bring a state of mental happiness or not IMO. People tend to think that someone with less means would be less happy, but like I said on my previous post I don't believe that at all for the reasons stated above.
Totally agree and well said.
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 06:23 AM   #45
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Money is very important,if you don't have it .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 06:44 AM   #46
swils8610

Tough situation Paul. A few things I’d consider….

How stable is your old boss at his new job?

Will you be able to work your pay scale up from when you start?

Is your old boss doing it as measure to “get even” with his old employer?

Can you sit down with your current employer and ask for a return to work/promotion timeline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 07:06 AM   #47
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post
Totally agree and well said.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 08:05 AM   #48
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Are either of the gigs remote? I have a buddy working two full time gigs remote pulling down considerable funds. Anyway, the opportunity to work for your old boss and hang with the boys sounds like it may always be an open invitation. If you have the chance to bump up in title and pay, do that BEFORE you move on.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 08:06 AM   #49
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I don't think you're stuck Paul with having to commit to either company long-term. What I mean by that is you can always go to your former boss's new company later and being honest about your concerns now. You can also do the same with your current company leaving letting them know that you are taking a different position but that you are open to coming back when they figure out their next moves. I do understand though the frustration not knowing currently and the company stringing things along.

Can you do work as an independent consultant and/or get your own GSA approval? If the typical service would be too small on your own to meet requirements of bidding, may make sense to look at company 2 and hope to help grow contracts there to drive profit for increase in salary later. I think future growth potential is important, but perhaps the financials/timelines don't make sense to influence enough at company 2 and you will be locked at current salary projections. I think we will see growth in your field however, so I wouldn't be surprised to see structural demand shifts coming.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 08:09 AM   #50
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Are either of the gigs remote? I have a buddy working two full time gigs remote pulling down considerable funds. Anyway, the opportunity to work for your old boss and hang with the boys sounds like it may always be an open invitation. If you have the chance to bump up in title and pay, do that BEFORE you move on.

Sent using Tapatalk
It's not possible to work those gigs remotely.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 10:21 AM   #51
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
The big thing that hasn't been mentioned is your age in the work force. Yes Paul you're getting OLD in the workforce. And the old saying a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush comes to mind in reading this. Take the new job - money is money

And people who say money can't buy happiness have never been poor ....
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 11:33 AM   #52
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Sorry to hear, Paul. I know money isn't everything, but is surely is something and a reality of our world.

Playing the game for 10 months and not knowing how many more can be frustrating and would make most leave by now. I hope they get back you you soon.

Drastically altering your lifestyle for a "maybe I'll be happier" is a bold move.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 11:50 AM   #53
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Tend to agree. There are folks who manage to be happy without money, and the tradeoffs involved in making more money are often not worth it (e.g. 40 hour weeks for 200K may trump a 70 hour week for 400K).

But overall, it solves a lot of problems. Especially for children. An adult might be thrifty enough and smart enough to live well on the cheap, but kids need resources from others.
Great example of the proper context. It matters a whole lot in life and the quality of that life. And I think this thread reinforces it as money is one concern Paul is having as it relates to his employer. That concern can convert to stress real quick, we all know what stress can do to our health and family relations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
The big thing that hasn't been mentioned is your age in the work force. Yes Paul you're getting OLD in the workforce. And the old saying a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush comes to mind in reading this. Take the new job - money is money

And people who say money can't buy happiness have never been poor ....
Great advice and I can definitely agree and relate with your last sentence.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 12:50 PM   #54
Sthe
Banned

It almost seems like we live for money.
Sthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 08:23 PM   #55
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Is my room ready?
Paul,

I am really upset to hear about your Dilemma.

That must be an awful position to be in.

Thankfully i retired well before the Covid things seemed to just get into everybodys life in one way or another. But, knowing that That is no benefit to you.

Just hang in there. Things will come right for you.
I know it must be an extreemly stressful time for you and your family but, Dont forget, You do have an alternative family that you can chat to 24/7/365 which hopefully will take the edge off the stressful emotipons and feelings. That family is right here.

You will make the right decision, just take it slow and easy, dont rush. Thats when errors occur.

I realy do wish you all the very best.

Charles.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 09:51 PM   #56
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
These are some very thoughtful responses and varying opinions. I am impressed. My two cents is money and happiness are not mutually exclusive. You can have both and it is OK and I do know people that have both. I believe that you need to get in touch with your current employer and get an up to date assessment of the situation and the projection of when you will be brought back and in what position. Ask, and see what they say. Without definitive time and role information I would take the other job and start working and moving forward. If they want you back when everything settles then they can contact you and make an offer. You are in control of you and I would get to work. Just my thoughts.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 04:50 AM   #57
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Your room is ready and it costs half your income. So if you have zero income, it will be a good deal for you when I settle for half.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 04:53 AM   #58
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Your room is ready and it costs half your income. So if you have zero income, it will be a good deal for you when I settle for half.
I’m on my way Jocke
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 07:02 AM   #59
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Hold on there! I’ll throw in free indoor garage parking for the C4! Environmentally controlled too!

You’re off the guest list now too, you big bully!

I’ve been dying for a way to use that emoji! lol ��
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 08:02 AM   #60
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
How important is money?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg the chase.jpg (38.1 KB, 91 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote