View Single Post
Old 3 March 2020, 01:06 AM   #93
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
For you guys that buy and hold stocks. When do you decide to sell underperforming stocks? How long do you wait? Some I've held for 20 yrs are lagging way behind the averages but they've been great in the past.

Also. I know it's recommended to rebalance the portfolio but don't you want to let your high performing stocks run?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
There are no simple answers.

Discipline over conviction is my strategy.

If a stock has underperformed it needs to go. Do not fall in love with a stock. Look at GE as the perfect example and I still know people that refuse to sell "because it has been great in the past". Dividends wont save you when the stock falls well past the annual yield.

Yes you want to let your winners run but I rebalance by taking off anything that doubles and look for other opportunities. If I sell a double, I am using profits to maintain the position and I can reinvest my original capital in something else that may be ready to move. I sold doubles in CRM and NVDA last week.

Just my opinions, you should always fact check your strategies.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote