View Single Post
Old 24 April 2020, 03:19 AM   #68
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
If you buy a Rolex, and you don’t put it through its paces in life, Rolex should force you to return it.

Some reasons for returning it are:
  • Only ever worn with a suit, in a business setting
  • No scratches on your Rolex
  • You are too scared to remove links/screws yourself
  • It only lives in a safe
  • You bought it as an “investment”
  • You bought it to impress other people
  • You think the hang tag is equally important as your watch
  • Your Rolex diver has never been in the ocean

Who else agrees Rolex should enforce this policy?
I was in my late 20s backpacking through Asia with my wife, I had saved up enough to take a year off work for us both and enjoy some time together before we settle down. I had aspired to own a Rolex for years prior, the Rolex I liked most was the Exp1. Just loved it to bits

I was in the middle of Thailand when my parents emailed me to let me know I had a letter from HMRC, I told them to open it, and it was a tax rebate for £3500 (circa). I did not expect this at all, and was only 1/3 into our adventure.

With More than enough in savings, I decided to look at used Rolexes in Bangkok as this was burning a hole in my pocket and it was a perfect opportunity to finally get one with no liabilities at all on the horizon. there is (or was) a great market for pre owned Rolex in certain parts of Bangkok, and for the day i was on the hunt. I was looking at 36mm exp1s but my wife pointed to the 39mm version and was like, try that, looks better to me.

I tried it on and she was like yep, that’s better!!! And I agreed, it had a bit more presence and oomph on the wrist! However As the exp1 in 39mm was still a brand new model at that time, the used price was not far off RRP.

So me and my wife went to Siam paragon to the Rolex AD and got a brand new one instead at a tasty discount. It was an amazing day, and I wore it right across Asia from coast to coast. Posted the box and docs back home. It Flew under the radar in $10 a night hostels but also has a certain vibe to it that shows it’s clear high end craftsmanship. However No one around me while sipping on buckets of poison at the full moon party would have known it was a £3.5k watch

I wore that watch and scratched it up proper on trains in Vietnam, on the Great Wall, hiking in Tibet, Nepal, all round India.

Definitely meets your criteria !!!

However... if I had a DD... I would not be taking it in the sea. Guaranteed!!!

Years later..... i am very careful with my BLNR, to me, it is a dress watch, does not fly under the radar and it is treated with a bit more respect.. so to speak