View Single Post
Old 21 May 2020, 12:54 AM   #20
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56scooter View Post
In the past I was a big Breitling supporter, unfortunately I now have a hard time supporting them. I just see this as an opportunity to sell another 1000 watches of a popular model in an effort to improve the bottom line for a future buyer of the company. Interesting that they choose to utilize a model that had previously been limited to 250 pieces.

Yes, they are earmarking money for COVID relief and for that they should be commended. But if they were truly interested in such relief they should have announced it when the watches were first released. They were one of the few companies to release new watches in the early stages of the pandemic. Unfortunately I see it as more of a publicity stunt than anything else.
My thoughts originally posted elsewhere...

Honestly, it is a combination of things for me. "investment potential" is irrelevant for me but I do like rare things and my excitement at bagging one of the 250 has been massively dampened by the immediate (prior to even receiving the watch!) undermining of its limited nature, combined with the transparently cynical way in which they've done it. Anyone with half a brain can see all of these donations are costing them nothing (due to selling online avoiding dealers margin) and it is, in fact, allowing them to sell another 1,000 watches they couldn't have otherwise got away with making, at a substantial profit. Would I have had a different reaction if all proceeds were going to charity? Yes, I'd probably have bought one. But they're being shady as f** about it and I don't like that. Certainly hope the new one sells out and raises the cash but there were plenty of ways they could have raised as much (maybe even putting their hand in their own pocket...) without going this route. I've not had a Breitling before and I can't see me having one in future now.