View Single Post
Old 1 October 2020, 05:36 AM   #110
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
Understood. Fortunately for the buyer watchknut sniffed this one out. The scary part is that one of us may not be so fortunate in the future. Buy the seller Buy the seller is all I read as a newbie here not too long ago. These guys are The Sellers and look at the shit show they produced.

So it’s disturbing to a non expert such as myself who is interested in these types of pieces that I now don’t know who to trust. So I would think 3-4 times as opposed to once or twice before buying any piece.

As PR stated this type of stuff certainly diminishes ones enthusiasm for the hobby. As much as I love this hobby I love my hard earned dollars more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buy the seller only helps in the case when a good seller has a good watch. Once a bad watch like this one trades hands a new chapter begins if not the history is communicated to the new owner. That is the scary part. This is nothing new even if many didn’t know. As long as there’s big money to be made some opportunists will always try to benefit.

Building your own knowledge is paramount. Having even more knowledgable friends helps. In the end it’s all about the watch. Regardless where it comes from. There’s no easy way unless you can source your watches directly from the original owners and hear their stories. Even then you don’t really have an idea what happened throughout the watch 40-50-60 years lifespan.

It’s not supposed to be easy. Still stories like this hurt the hobby and makes you sad. Hopefully we learn and those that cheat others see that every once in a while reality catches up and makes you look stupid and dishonest. Something that may scare the next cheater away from doing bad things.

Put on another pretty insert on this 1675, tuck it away for a while and then sell it to someone else to deal and no one will ever know where this piece ends up. It will never be sold cheap with that awesome relume disclosed. It will just dissapear to some unknowing buyer in the end.