View Single Post
Old 21 September 2021, 09:29 AM   #1
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
YouTube Watch Culture - Thoughts?

There is a recent development that has me concerned about where things are going in the industry and whether we’re all being set up for a fall. It seems that over the past few months, many watch dealers feel the need to post weekly videos on YouTube that purport to show everybody what it’s like to be a watch dealer. By watching a few of these videos, to me it all comes off as sensationalist and and just more “made for social media hype”.

I feel there are always those signs that something is going to structurally change for the worse, and I have an eerie feeling this may be one of those signs. While I respect the hard work most of these guys have exerted to get where they are and be successful, there seems to be this need to sensationalize their job and make it seem like if you’re a watch dealer you are some sort of rock star or pillar of society that everybody wants to tune into and hear from.

It’s tough to put into words, but it all rubs me the wrong way and makes me think we’re absolutely at peak hype.

One of the things I find funny is that while I would never defend the actions of the Timepiece Gentleman, they’re all basically copying what he started. Second, are people really THAT interested in what a watch dealer does in their day to day jobs? I mean, for crying out loud it’s no different than watching a Real Housewives episode in how fake, egotistical, and selfish it all seems. Scrolling through Instagram this weekend with the London Watch Show you’d think being a watch dealer is on par with being a star athlete or movie star.

Anyway, I’m just curious what other forum members think about all of this? I don’t mean to hate on it necessarily - It’s just made me take a moment to think. Or perhaps I’m just being a curmudgeon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk