View Single Post
Old 17 October 2021, 10:01 AM   #95
1981Eagle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 42
My story has nothing whatsoever to do with this watch purchase, but it is interesting and demonstrates how you can be an unwitting participant in a scam.

I use a CPAP breathing machine for sleep apnea. I wanted to get a SoClean machine to clean it. It was a 'good' price, but not 'too good to be true' ... so I ordered it and paid via PayPal. I got the SoClean and it was brand new from a medical pulmonary supply company and in a sealed box ..... all was well with the world.

Later, I was contacted by the supply company (about a month an a half later). They asked me if I got the CPAP, and how I paid ... I told them I did, and I got it from eBay. They said they don't sell items using eBay.

Turns out that the scammer had a stolen credit card number, he (or she) advertised an item that they didn't even have possession of on eBay. Then once I paid them via PayPal, they used the stolen CC # to call the supplier and have the machine drop-shipped to me. So the eBay 'seller' got paid via PayPal, me (as the buyer) got the item I 'paid' for - eBay got their seller's fees, the victim of the CC# theft reported the fraud and never had to pay, and the medical supply company got screwed. The victim of the stolen CC # didn't know until they got their bill so it went nearly a month of bad charges.

I offered to send it back and take it up with eBay, but the supply company said they really couldn't take it back as it had been used, and that I should keep it and use it well and in goof health. I felt bad for them, and I was willing to send it back ... but the company decided to absorb the loss.

Despite eBay being set up to 'favor' buyers over sellers - and they are making it harder to sucessfully scam people - they are still filled with thieves, scumbags, and scammers.
1981Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote