View Single Post
Old 15 December 2021, 04:34 AM   #22
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
I don't think anyone buying the Daytona cares, maybe 0.05% of buyers would care.

100% agree most Daytona buyers have no interest in watches whatsoever. This is purely for enthusiasts and Rolex brand reputation historically speaking.

I prefer a central seconds hand myself but I don’t mind trying to keep the current subdial and chronograph central seconds hand the way it is. The superfast chronograph hand on the El Primero can be a little dizzying. I don’t think Rolex would change the Daytona dials and hands. I could see the new chronograph movement going in a new Airking pilots chronograph with central seconds and changing up the subdials slightly maybe. Or the 4161 getting changed up a bit.

I think in Rolex years you gotta think in decades. So while it does take them 20-25 years to make a new movement, they will make a new movement. They aren’t ones to keep the same design for 60 years and call it a heritage or vintage inspired movement. They just want what’s practical for the current situation. An example would be the speed master using the old 321 movement developed in 1957.

So yea 20-25 years old is a long time for a movement to be in production for Rolex but not as far as other watchmakers take it. Rolex is always improving.

The 41xx is their oldest movement now with the 32xx being updated. While the Milgauss and Airking haven’t been upgraded it’s not because they lack the movement for it. The Daytona hasn’t been updated because they just haven’t finished the 4230 and 4261 yet. I bet they’re really close to finishing it though. Which is the original intent of this thread. Not really a discussion on values or anything like that.

I don’t think slow development is the reason behind the value retention at all. If anything it’s the continued development and consistent improvement in technology while retaining the same basic design and style elements to create iconic pieces; and reputation for durability.

Nowadays it’s also very much just brand recognition to the point someone stated earlier that people who have zero interest in watches and know nothing at all about the Daytona, still buy Daytonas. But that’s a different discussion.

I’m going to throw my hat in the ring and say 2022 is the year of the Milgauss/Airking, 2023 will be the year of the Daytona marking the 60 year anniversary with a new 4230 movement, updated case design, new starting price in steel around $15,300.