View Single Post
Old 17 December 2021, 01:45 AM   #22
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
What do you guys recommend for some good ryes to experiment with? I really enjoyed Bulleit and that seems to be the introductory bottle to get started. There are so many of them on the shelf that it's hard to even venture a guess as to what to pick. A lot of the distillers whose bourbons and whiskeys I like also make rye. Would those be good options to start with?

For example, everyone from Jim Beam to Jack Daniels, Heaven Hill, Michter's, Wild Turkey, Basil Hayden, etc. all make ryes. Then there's higher end Willett or Whistle Pig and offerings like that.

I saw an interesting one from High West called Double Rye? They take a 2 year old and blend it with a 16 year old that has a higher corn mash bill to smoothen it out.
I just picked up a Michters 10 year (haven’t cracked it open yet), but have had their other ryes and they are really good.

I LOVE High West Rendezvous Rye. Not too expensive, but miles better than their Double Rye IMO. Lots of people say it was better a few years ago before they started using more of their own blend, but even so I still enjoy the new stuff. My current bottle is a 19 batch I think. Also note this is the same juice used to make Midwinter Nights Dram (it’s just aged in port barrels after).
logo is online now   Reply With Quote