View Single Post
Old 10 January 2022, 02:33 AM   #110
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
That's a great list!!!

Think you mean 30 years (not 300), and agree 30 years of consistency. If I may add, the Modern Holy Trinity list should be 'refreshened' every 10 or 15 years. The reason is, some brands could falter, or they get chosen and so 'rest on their laurels'. You have an excellent list

Personally speaking, ALS and VC are strong contenders for 'higher production' brands.
Yes, 30 years (not 30 decades)! :)

I should add that I got the 3 pronged criteria from David Landes’ book Revolution in Time. He divided his history of timekeeping into three categories, 1) history of culture 2) history of science and technology and 3) business and economic history. For shorthand, I call that aesthetics, engineering, and business. I figured a criteria for holy trinity status could benefit from the 3 pronged approach.

Landes:

‘Still, like it or not, there comes time for parturition. The book represents a first attempt at a general history of time measurement and its contribution, for better or worse, to what we call modern civilization. It is a triptych: a study in cultural history; in the history of science and technology; and in social and economic history.’

Page XX, Preface.

https://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog....=9780674002821
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote