View Single Post
Old 3 April 2022, 02:51 PM   #16
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
You want to remember that with Rolex or anyone else, going back to the late 1940’s-early 50’s, you have a problem. Parts. From those 1200 series movements parts are hard to impossible to come by. They were great for their day, but….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
1200? You may be confused on the calibre.

That's a manual wind sub seconds non date...

I will agree to a point...but when I started playing with all of this 37 years ago...everything was much newer....15xx movements were crisp and some were only 7 years old...

The 745 and 775 movements are really good movements. Even with wear they'll turn out a pretty good reading and they are certainly far more robust than their smaller cousin that is found in most bubble backs...620-645.

While I would say it takes a bit more trouble and you aren't going to get as accurate of a run out of the older ones....most of the "vintage" watches we are talking about now...are 15xx equipped and truly...yes there were a lot more made and a lot more parts...but because most people run them dry (MY ROLEX HAS NEVER BEEN SERVICED AND IT RUNS PERFECT and other bs....)...you're not looking at that much of a different animal really at this point...I've seen some pretty scary 15xx movements...Metal on Metal is the same in Ferrari as it is in Ford...Wheels can be dropped in...but bushed holes in the main plate and barrel bridge...are going to need serious attention...and barrel wear is astounding on those watches...and will absolutely kill the amplitude.

Here is a very rare 5031 from 1950 that I just did for a member. I'm at + 10 secs a day on the wrist. Yes it has some position error and that is the happy saddle, but still it's consistent...winds itself and everything works right. Calibre 745.

Oh yes and please send in the dial police....it's been refinished. That's that hardest part to find...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1090.jpg (98.3 KB, 73 views)
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote