View Single Post
Old 7 July 2022, 10:10 AM   #55
Fred_Tan
Banned

Watch: Bumble Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
I think it’s unrealistic and a bit unfair to crap on those that choose to discuss value with Rolex watches. This type of discussion is commonplace in other high end commodity forums, be it classic cars, luxury cars, jewelry, antiques, etc.
Sure, as collectors we discuss the various nuances related to our particular genre, but value, real or perceived, is always on peoples minds. I think the flipping craze has really touched a nerve but to ignore value when talking about watches, new or vintage, especially when we are taking multi-thousands of dollars is a bit silly, no?
Just IMHO
Ditto.
Those who crap on ppl who value luxury items are probably just selfish folks who thinks only about emselves & want everything avail at their pleasure without much effort.

I observe same negativity among collectors who can’t land their current issue/release of regular comic, bourbon, handbag, scotch, wine, sneaker, coin, stamp, trading cards & Japanese denim; and these negativity are reflected in the way they diss so call investors who value their wishlists thus displacing them from priority lists.

I regard these negative folks as those envious of others for being able to get things they wanted, especially those who can afford to pay above MSRP.

I wonder if half of former, current and future Rolex owners would even patiently queue outside AD to wait their turns to enter, or wait for years and painstakingly follow-up with their SA, on monthly basis with face to face meetings - for their wishlist, or pay above MSRP if they can’t no longer wait; if Rolex is just another Citizen/Rado (no disrespect to these brands).
Just saying.

A good example will be Panerai after the craze is over post-2010.
Before Panerai switched to in-house mvmt; almost 1/2 of the oldies here in this forum rush to call their AD every year minutes after Panerai drop their new PAM249, 232 and dozens more models.

As soon as the 3xx series roll out with inflated in-house mvmt price & maybe too many homage models which look similar to past years, the music died