View Single Post
Old 3 October 2022, 05:34 AM   #120
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
As a final tidbit...

You're grossly overestimating the buying population for luxury watches. If we're talking stateside, outside of NYC/LA/Miami and a few others, I can almost guarantee you if I polled 100 random passerbys to identify a Royal Oak or a Nautilus they wouldn't even have a clue.

Another facet I'm seeing overblown on these niche areas of the internet like forums, followers on IG watch pages, etc. 'Every' body doesn't know AP/PP now. Just old school horologists and newfound watch bros. Let's get real.
I don't have much to add to this thread, but I don't like the fighting :)

That said, I've lost money on pretty much every watch I've ever sold, yet my wife still lets me buy them because they are NOT investments, they are for my pleasure.

One more thing, a couple of years ago AP was somewhat anonymous to non-watch interested people, I liked that - a lot. Just recently though I had to wire money to AP which I couldn't do online so I went to the bank. The young lady who processed my transfer saw the payee and the amount and immediately asked me if I was buying a watch! Maybe that's not unusual if you live in Beverly Hills or Mayfair, but I live in a quiet seaside town where I can walk around wearing any watch I care to with very little trepidation. I now also get asked about AP if I wear any AP logo golf shirts etc. Times have definitely changed - not necessarily for the better.

One final anecdote. There's a lovely lady at AP London, she's young and of course wears an AP. A few years ago she told me a story about being out with one of her girl friends who was wearing her father's Daytona - everyone was gushing over it. The AP lady was wearing her gold RO and it didn't get a second glance. There's no way that's happening today.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote