View Single Post
Old 6 January 2023, 02:17 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post
. . .

Other automatic watches I’ve had in the past show the date changing very gradually around midnight. Eg an old Tag I have, it’s evident the date wheel is moving from about 23.50 then it clicks through the last of the actual change at 00.02.

My current model (Explorer II 226570 so 3285 movement) doesn’t move at all until about 00.06 then changes very suddenly.

Is this something thats generally accepted and what causes it? eg a slight misalignment or design of the movement and how far out would be expected? .
. .
"Other" watches engage gears and slowly turn the wheel to another day. For some this takes several hours.

Rolex uses a cam and flat spring. When the cam reaches midnight, the spring is released and snaps the wheel to the next day instantly, as your Explorer is doing.

The mechanism works with each 24 hour turn of the entire movement. The hands you see are a visual representation of time but are not physically attached to the date wheel. When a movement is assembled, the hands are the last thing put on and will be a few minutes either side of when the cam slaps the date spring.