View Single Post
Old 28 February 2023, 09:28 AM   #80
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Very interesting.
I wasn't aware of the GS dual impulse problems and I usually keep my ear to the ground.
Omega seemed to come to grips with the Co-axial when they changed the rate back to what was advised by Daniels in the first instance. I think it was the 3rd revision to the ETA 2892 escapement variant in 2006. I have one myself and it's a dead set ripper

Of course, we are talking about the mainstream brand offerings here with regard to the more exotic mechanical escapement variants. There are others which are more obscure but it sort of puts it all into context with regard to the degree of difficulty when we consider that the Spring Drive took a number of decades of fits and starts by GS before it could to come into fruition because the technology simply wasn't available to overcome key design challenges.
I always thought the Spring drive was an answer to a question the public wasn't asking. I also felt the same way about the Co-axial, but it demonstrates that the manufacturers are trying to improve their technology whilst competing with each other in an effort to remain relevant.
If it wasn't for the whole quartz thing, we may not be having this conversation
Oddly enough, my Grand Seiko 9F quartz are probably my new favorite movements.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote