View Single Post
Old 26 March 2023, 01:03 AM   #12
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I was fortunate to try out Pelikan M400, M600, M800, and M1000 side by side at a huge pen shop in Barcelona. I ended up going with an M800 fine nib. There was some variation in the nib feel (a couple were scratchy), so I picked the best nib of the bunch and they swapped it onto my preferred body (red). Fantastic pen, puts down a nice wet line, super smooth. I found the M1000 a bit big, but the nib is softer feeling than the M800 if you like that. Piston fill mechanism is very easy to use.

My other main fountain pen is the Pilot 823. I find it more comfortable to write with than the Pelikan due to the shape, longer section, and smoother transition from body to section. Nib is super smooth as well, my preference. It's a fine nib, but puts down a much finer line than the Pelikan fine, and is a bit drier, so I use Pilot ink with that pen. It is a vacuum fill pen. On the plus side it holds a lot of ink, is quick and easy to fill, and you can take it on a plane without it leaking. Downside is that if you like to change ink colors, it's laborious to flush out the remaining ink before changing colors. Pilot 742 is almost identical to the 823 but uses a converter or cartridges, so that's an option as well.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote