View Single Post
Old 31 July 2023, 09:42 AM   #12
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
I don't think it's "ridiculous" to seek to understand best practices for a complicated, very expensive product. Is it robust? Sure. Will it last a long time regardless? Sure. But neither of those negate the willingness to better learn and understand the expensive mechanical device on my wrist and the best practices to care for it. FYI, I've been wearing a dastardly quartz watch on my wrist day in, day out, for the last 17 years, so yeah, I'd like to learn a bit about my Rolex because I bought it to enjoy and understand, not to flex on Instagram.

To the others, thank you very much - I think my questions have been answered sufficiently. Hope this helps someone else looking to learn when they get their first Rolex as well.

IMHO there are no ridiculous questions OP, we’re all here to learn from others and share our wisdom when he can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
1. Wear it so it is comfortable to you. Paraflex is a Rolex term as almost all modern watches have some sort of shock resistant system, but this system is for hard knocks to keep from breaking delicate parts, it is not a floating shock absorber like a car would have.

2. You should always wind a totally dead watch before you put it on. How much is up to you, but I usually wind it all the way. How do you know that your wearing it will wind it fully?

3. A watch is most accurate in the upper curve of its power wind. Letting it sputter along will yield poor performance.

4. It takes about 650 winds of the internal rotor just to keep a watch static (power used equals power in), anything less and the watch will run down, more and the watch will add reserve. Most folks do not put enough power reserve daily to wind-it-up, but put in enough to keep it wound with around 20 to 30 hours of reserve.

5. The crown is overengineered and crown type specific, not movement specific. A Triploc crown has 3 o-rings around the stem, 1 around the tube visible under the threads, and one inside the crown to seal against the top of the tube - hence, Trip-loc: stem, tube, crown seals.

A Twin-lock does not have the o-ring seal on the tube (hence twin), and uses 2 o-rings on the stem.

Contrary to watch-lore, the crown/tube is not the most likely spot your watch may leak, there are also seals at the case back and under the crystal that have no redundant features.

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote