View Single Post
Old 23 November 2023, 04:28 PM   #14
xrole
"TRF" Member

So I have had a 36mm Explorer on order for a few months now and I did it without really checking in person and just relied on internet photos and feedback to determine if a 36mm would be fine for my 7.1" wrist. Big mistake.

Yesterday I tried the 36mm on in the AD and t looks TINY, like a ladies watch. I understand the desire to look "vintage", but to me that is more a matter of styling, not so much size. If going vintage means looking like you are wearing a watch that is unusually small for your wrist, giving a disproportionate look, then I will gladly skip it. The 40mm which I then tried on is a far better fit size for a 7"+ wrist and looks in proportion. If you have a female partner than wants to share your watch then sure, go for the 36mm so you can both wear it, but for the average guy then the 40mm is the way to go.

I also tried on the 37mm Yacht Master and it also looked really small on my 7.1" wrist, the 40mm fitted perfectly, so I ordered the blue version of that too.

EDIT - Good explanation here https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hands-o...erence-224270/

Part of why the current Rolex Explorer 36 feels small is because the watch actually is slightly smaller than previous 36mm Explorer references. Aside from the fact that the case measures closer to 35.5mm, previous versions of the 36mm Rolex Explorer had their lugs set 20mm apart, while the current model reduces this distance down to 19mm. The smaller lug width means a more dramatic taper on the lugs themselves, which results in a further visual reduction in overall size. On top of that, since the bracelet is also thinner, the entire watch simply takes up less surface area on your wrist, and if you were wondering why the current Explorer 36 feels smaller than the Datejust 36 or Oyster Perpetual 36, it is simply because the watch actually is smaller than its similarly sized 36mm siblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgold View Post
Yep I have the same feeling. I really like the watch for its simplicity and as an everyday wear, but the 36mm looks a bit dainty, especially with the bracelet, while the 40mm is a lot of dial and wide, as you said. A 40mm or even sub fits me well, but I wanted the more open dial look of the Explorer.
If you have a 7"+ wrist go for the 40mm, no doubt.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote