View Single Post
Old 10 January 2024, 08:06 PM   #23
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
It's a relatively common occurence for a Rolex.

The Pallet jewels interface with the escape wheel teeth through a sliding action.
The effect of this is that the more one winds up the mainspring, there is a build up of torque at the Pallet jewel and Escape wheel interface and this in turn can lock the movement up even more and can be counter productive.

I only wind mine up by 4-8 turns and give the watch a slight little shake which unlocks everything and the watch will run if it hasn't started by itself.
Whether one opts to put more turns into it is entirely optional but I normally set the watch after it's started, then put it on to wind up by itself on my wrist.
I have found on occasion that a lot of turns doesn't necessarily equate to a self starting movement from a dead stop condition. Even when relatively fresh after a service.
But that's just how it works out for myself.
Depending on one's activity levels, the watch should run fine and wind up to full power throughout the day on the wrist.

Of course, you need to entertain the possibility that your watch may need a service and a highly reputable watchmaker could take the back of for a close inspection to see if the movement is dirty and or a bit dry.
Which may explain why it's a bit sluggish to start as well
Other brands of watches with different movements will routinely start by themselves after 1 or 2 turns or 4-6 turns even after many years between services
Let us know how you choose to handle it from here?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote