View Single Post
Old 29 January 2024, 04:58 PM   #41
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post
I was diving and wearing my couple months old basically brand new 136660 Deep Sea James Cameron… unfortunately at some point coming up on the ladder of the dive boat I hit the watch against some metal bolt on the ladder and it caused this huge dent which is quite deep.

Honestly I’m a little pissed that Rolex uses such soft steel, this should have been a scratch not a deep dent. I’m surrounded by steel in my life, on board, trucks, everywhere, and none of the industrial steel ever dents so easily.

Anyways, polishing will definitely not fix this as it is too deep. I think this would require welding/soldering of extra material to fill the dent and then polish down to make it smooth?

In all likelihood I won’t get this repaired and will wait 5 years until it’s servicing time to see how many other scratches and dents I get.

Any advice appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is not worth repairing from my cost perspective.

As for your soft steel comment read Larry’s post.

The difference between the annealed hardness of the 316L and 904L grades that Rolex use is 2.17% on the Rockwell scale.

The advantages of 904L are significant but the increased nickel content is a concern for many with the allergy.

Had your watch steel been 316L you would not have noticed a difference in the size of that tiny ding.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote