View Single Post
Old 18 February 2024, 05:06 PM   #12
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archetype View Post
But then using diamonds becomes a bit pointless(from my point of view) if there is no fundamental value to them and its all just for show? Might as well use swarovski stones.

Lab growns have AWFUL resale value and they cost little to begin with so having a lab grown is like having a good replica Rolex. Yes it will look amazing but it won't be the real thing.

Arguably, aren't diamonds 100% for show? (at the retail level). A replica Rolex isn't internally identical to a real one. But a lab grown diamond, for all intents & purposes is identical to the one pulled out of the earth.

I also wouldn't say the resale on "real" earth-mined diamonds is so hot either. It's dramatically lower than what any so-called appraisal says and what you pay for them. Pity for those that go to a chain jeweler like Kay or something and think they aren't getting destroyed for potential resale.

My best friend is a jeweler; he said the machine used to tell the difference is ~$20k or so. Under normal observation, it is impossible to tell the difference, or so he claims. If you're doing it to impress others, they won't know. If you're doing it for future value; buy equities or real estate.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote