View Single Post
Old 20 February 2024, 11:43 PM   #22
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archetype View Post
What a strange reply.

I know very well which brands hold value. Your argument doesn't make much sense and people need to stop repeating it like parrots without thinking through it.

The reason many people care about value retainment is not necessarily because they buy watches for investment rather than enjoyment and appreciation of craftsmanship. This is so out of reality. I do not deny that there are also many who buy watches purely for investment and nothing else and these people do indeed mess up the market. I am personally not in this bracket. I do buy for enjoyment but at the same time I am a millionaire. Monetary value will always be a factor when purchasing something very expensive.

A luxury watch is often something of a significant value (unless you are a millionaire) and IF you can buy something to enjoy without losing a ton of money then why not do it? I stress the word IF here. If I could buy luxury clothes without losing a ton of money in the used market and being able to retain their monetary value I would do it but this is not possible so I have give in on the fact that 2nd hand clothes lose a lot of value. You can sometimes find bargains on ebay but overall if you buy a luxury clothing brand you will lose a lot if you try to resell it and there is no way around it. Period.

Same goes with cars etc. HOWEVER with luxury watches it is sometimes possible to buy them and not get wiped out. Why do a significant purchase from a boutique only to get wiped out? This timepiece I refer to is of significant value(to me) and down the road the urgent need may arise to sell it (whatever the reason may be) and thus why not minimize my loses as much as I can IF I can? for this reason if I can buy the RB1510251B1P1 for £12,200 brand new with manufacturers warranty instead of £17,150 why would I not do it? Should I find myself in a situation where I have to sell it I will still lose around 1-2k from what I see on chrono24 which is far better than losing £7,000. Chopard LUC is another amazing brand comparable to Patek. A watch am interested in goes for £25,000 in the boutique, £9,500 pre-owned. Please be my guest and go buy it brand new because you are a "real watch enthusiast who doesn't care about value".

You know you are wrong. They can sometimes be great investment vehicles if you know what you are doing.
Sorry, but I tend to be more in the jedione65 camp. I am a true watch enthusiast. I buy what I love, and worry none about resale value. I could care less if the value of the watch dropped to zero the moment I walk out the AD store. The second I walked out of the AD with my Navitimer (at full retail) I knew the value of the watch was going to drop significantly. I didn't care. The watch puts a smile on my face everytime it goes on my wrist, and is one of my favorites over some of the Rolex's I own even though they have gone up in value. And to me, this is what matters most - the smile on my face.

With regards to watches being investment pieces. I have fared much better in the stock market over the past 10 years vs what I could have made doing watch investments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5041.1.jpg (284.0 KB, 218 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote