View Single Post
Old 13 March 2024, 02:05 AM   #9
Dave455
"TRF" Member

As others have said, it’s a Chronomat, but a relatively early one.

After Breitling declared bankruptcy in the late 70’s, the Breitling name was bought by Ernest Schneider, with the full blessing of the Breitling family,

He owned a small watch company called Sicura, and started producing “Breitling” watches from that factory. They were all quartz, but Schneider realised the potential of the Breitling name, and proceeded to take the products upmarket.

He realised that he had to offer mechanical watches, so designed a new watch around one of the few mechanical chronograph movements available at the time - the ETA 7750.

That watch was the Chronomat, and I think it was introduced in 1984. Date wise, yours is therefore post 1984, and my gut feeling is closer to the 80’s than the later versions. I can remember seeing that exact watch for sale.

Although, in some respects, Breitling kept costs low (versions with gold tabs and winder were usually plated, not solid gold) in other respects they did these very nicely. The case edge has a beautiful smooth curve to it. A more modern watch would be straight sided to save costs.

The movements, while “off the shelf” are essentially very good, and Breitling had them properly fitted, by Kelek.

Personally, I think these were superb designs. The very first of the “new” Breitlings, so an important watch in Breitling history, but uniquely styled and beautifully proportioned.

Were it mine, I’d be tempted to have it serviced by Breitling, and probably replace the strap. The service will probably cost more than the watch did originally, but you will end up with a very wearable yet iconic timepiece, fit for another 35 years! Hopefully your Dad would be pleased!
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote