View Single Post
Old 13 March 2024, 03:15 AM   #11
Officers Match
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Datejust 16030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave455 View Post
One further consideration -

If you buy a Rolex, a Submariner for example, it will be identical to all the other Submariners of the same reference. It will be very similar, to all the Submariners ever built. That is an attraction in some respects. You are buying a “classic”.

Breitling, especially modern Breitling, are not like that. They will generally only retain a particular model for a few years. After that it will be replaced by something with the same name, that is probably recognisable as a similar watch, but is distinctly different.

This is why Breitling buyers sometimes do, or don’t, buy a particular watch at a particular time. It’s also why they sometimes become quite attached to the ones they have bought, or even have a degree of remorse about the ones they didn’t buy.

Couple this with the huge number of variations that Breitling typically offer - different case materials, dial colours (dial styles too) plus all the strap / bracelet options - and you begin to see why some Breitlings are almost unique pieces.

Was this maybe something that your Dad felt, and maybe why it was a favourite?
Thank you sincerely for the knowledge, I really appreciate it.

Yesterday I found online this same watch (without the clasp) at a price that actually surprised me (under $1500). Given Dad's affinity for this one, often favoring it over a gorgeous TT Submariner, I thought it might fetch a larger price - but the one I saw looked pristine (not that Dad's couldn't be spruced up).
Officers Match is offline   Reply With Quote