View Single Post
Old 13 March 2024, 03:49 AM   #12
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officers Match View Post
Thank you sincerely for the knowledge, I really appreciate it.

Yesterday I found online this same watch (without the clasp) at a price that actually surprised me (under $1500). Given Dad's affinity for this one, often favoring it over a gorgeous TT Submariner, I thought it might fetch a larger price - but the one I saw looked pristine (not that Dad's couldn't be spruced up).
The $1500 seems like a fair price to me.

I’m in the U.K. and I’d expect a mint condition watch of that model and vintage to be circa £1500 to £1800 (from a dealer), but condition is all.

The reasons for the price being what it is are multiple.

Firstly, the overall quality. Although they are “good”, they are basically a Sicura watch, and they are not quite the quality of what went before, or what came later.

From the very start of the Schneider ownership, quality only ever went up (along with price, admittedly). If you look at a Chronomat now, it’s a higher quality watch in every respect. The movement, the case, the fitting, everything.

Secondly, you have supply and demand. These Chronomat’s were incredibly successful, so consequently there are a lot out there, which affects price.

Finally, Breitling, don’t hold their values like a Rolex. Never have.

On the other hand, how many items could you buy new in the 80’s or 90’s, use regularly since, and still get back more than you paid?

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about the value. I’d service it, wear it, and enjoy it for what it is!
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote