View Single Post
Old 25 March 2024, 03:42 AM   #9
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevykor View Post
After dozens of watches, mostly Rolex and Omega, I have seen various deviation levels over the course of months. Most recently, I was surprised to see my DSSD 3135 (currently my daily) at +3 seconds after almost 2 months w/o adjustment. My master chronometer co-axial 88xx is a close second.
I believe that if time is invested, one can make a modern movement incredibly accurate. I don’t know if most watchmakers feel the need to do so. The long held -4/+6 needs to be re-evaluated in my opinion and brands are moving to a shorter deviation (ie. -2/+2, -0/+5, etc). If watch adjustment was looked upon as golf, a challenge to acquire the lowest number, words like “content” or “settled” would have no place…
My highest concern is one of complacency. I would image a watchmaker “worth his salt” indeed should make note of the poise. My concern is that many may not bother. I’ve regrettably only known one that would, and he retired a decade ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My question is more from a technical perspective. Omega is introducing the Spirate system that allows for 0.1 spd incremental changes. In practicality, that level of adjustment is irrelevant when the slightest change in a persons daily wear pattern can change the rate observed by way more than 0.1 spd. My Rolexes have different rates when I wear them on the weekends compared to during the week. Sitting at a computer all day with the watch mostly dial up and 6 o’clock up is different than during the weekend.
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote