Thread: 1086 or 000
View Single Post
Old 8 April 2024, 02:09 PM   #13
JonathanTi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen331 View Post
My girlfriend made me sell my watches years ago but want to get back into the game and I am currently on a waitlist for a Rolex Sub. While I wait I am considering a Panerai.

I have owned a 000, 113, 25, 183 and 190 in the past. Still really wish I had 3 of the 5, bet you can get which ones.

My question is would it be stupid to buy the 1086 from a boutique or Grey market over getting the 000 used? I loved my zero but I also want all scratches and scuffs on my watch to be my own, not a huge deal but a consideration.

Has Panerai made any improvements to the base model over the years? Which technically is the better watch right now? I bought my 000 for 3,000 brand new and it looks to have gone up in value. Does the same potential exist for the 1086 or will the new models never compete with the early 2000 output?

Just a few questions I have since I am just getting back into the game. Would really appreciate some illumination from knowledgeable Paneristi.
Thanks

i know this thread is almost a year old but i didn't see anyone reply to you. and also i bought the exact model in your question.

I personally bought my PAM 1086 at the boutique and made all my scratches on it and i love it. i take it kayaking, swimming, camping - it's meant to be used!

I know there's a school of thought that prefers the older PAMs using the older Unitas movement because it can be serviced by almost any watchmaker rather than panerai only. There's some value in that but for me personally, i like the idea of if you're buying a luxury watch, go ahead and indulge in an in house movement. i feel like it adds more value and exclusivity. There's a million watches using the Unitas movement and for me personally, it always felt weird that Panerai also used it.

The P.6000 in house movement has a much longer power reserve (officially 3 days but mine gets 92 hours or close to 4 days) than the Unitas one so for me that's a huge plus.

I have found Paneristi are quite divided and almost overzealous. some insist it MUST be 300m, must have sandwich dial as if that's the only acceptable choice. I have swam in my bloody 100m WR rated PAM 1086 and had zero issues. 100m is more than good enough.
And i personally can't stand the sandwich dial because at certain angles it's hard to the read the cut out stenciled numbers. That's my own personal preference.

So honestly, wear what you want and don't worry what others say.
JonathanTi is offline   Reply With Quote