View Single Post
Old 12 April 2024, 07:11 AM   #1
dgkula
"TRF" Member

Bracelet not correct for model??!!

I bought my 1997 GMT Master II ref 16710 new at an AD. I serviced it the first time at the RSC in NY in 2016. It's started running +20 sec so I just dropped it at a large local AD last weekend as I didnt want to box it up and send it to the RSC.

I goth the estimate today and it was noted that the original oyster bracelet is "not correct for model" and service *requires* the purchase of a jubilee bracelet!!

I called and the woman who picked up explained that many of these older watches have had bracelets swapped and so mine isnt original. So I lost it on her. WTF? I dont think I've ever seen a 16710 with a jubilee bracelet?

This is a large, highly reputable jewler and Rolex AD so I would be really surprised if this was a scam but it seems really hard for it to be an honest mistake. They are also listing a bezel insert as optional which makes sense and I am declining that.

Also when the RSC serviced it in 2016 they suggested new dial & hands as the tritium isnt working any more - but this AD didnt suggest new dial & hands.

Not sure what to think. Scam or honest mistake?

Edit: I did read on the internet that "When it comes to the bracelet, this also varies. The watch came with an Oyster 78360 bracelet but back in the day also on a 78790 Oysterlock bracelet. What’s more, the GMT 16710 also came with a 62510 jubilee bracelet"

So perhaps all bracelets are period correct?
dgkula is offline   Reply With Quote