View Single Post
Old 17 April 2024, 06:51 PM   #10641
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
I'll be the contrarian here and argue in favor of index funds, specifically the S&P500 funds as there are several reasons.

First, they've democratized the usage of funds and have been an entry point for many including first time investors. Those that are not savvy in finance or investing can pretty much participate with little to no maintenance.

Second, the lower fees enable an investor to realize much more than a managed fund.

Third, an SP500 fund ETF is extremely tax efficient with limited turnover vs. what an active manager may do.

Fourth, there is ample evidence that over a long period of time active money managers cannot match the returns of an index fund when expenses and fees are taken into account.

Finally, there's this, and it's perhaps the most compelling reason given Warren Buffet's acumen in this very area:

“One bequest provides that cash will be delivered to a trustee for my wife’s benefit,” he wrote. “My advice to the trustee could not be more simple: Put 10% of the cash in short-term government bonds and 90% in a very low-cost S&P 500 index fund.”

Buffett recommended using Vanguard’s S&P 500 index fund.

While this strategy is straightforward and doesn't require constant monitoring or active trading, Buffett expressed a significant amount of confidence in it.

“I believe the trust’s long-term results from this policy will be superior to those attained by most investors — whether pension funds, institutions or individuals — who employ high-fee managers,” he said.
Agreed vs a mutual fund but not against a tax managed direct indexing equity SMA. For ~15bp you can get a SMA that tracks SPY but buys and sells individual positions to generate tax losses throughout the year. You can also tax loss harvest individual positions on your own accord opposed to an ETF which is not as tax efficient. Those capital losses that accumulate are incredibly valuable to offset future gains from investments and or real estate yet you still track the return of SPY very closely. Look at Eaton Vance Parametrics Equity SMA for example.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote