View Single Post
Old 24 April 2024, 09:36 PM   #13
ol' Rex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPan View Post
Even though the 126500 is a SS watch, it is not the same as a Sub or GMT. Anyone who gets one from their AD has spent the grey money equivalent indirectly. Furthermore, if someone likes the watch and cannot get one from their AD then you are buying a £25K watch, you are not buying a £13k watch + premium. The reason I say that is because if you were to sell it in 6 months (assuming market is unchanged), you'll get your money back. You wont be selling it for £13K. So personally, I struggle with the comments 'I'd never pay grey money for a Daytona' because for me you are buying an unobtainable watch at current market value that holds its money...
I find these arguments typical for this forum, but nevertheless unconvincing.

On the one hand, you claim: "Anyone who gets one from their AD has spent the grey money equivalent indirectly."

That may in some cases be true, but the money spent at the AD was for products, while the equivalent markup given to the used-watch dealer is merely that, i.e. a markup on one watch. For example:

Oyster Perpetual (6,000) + Submariner (9,000) + Daytona = 3 watches

15,000 + Daytona = 1 watch for the same price

Even if one were to argue that a person might need to purchase a few more watches before getting a Daytona, it still holds true that the money is in fact for watches and not for nothing.

As to your comment that a person who buys from a used-watch dealer would be able to "get the money back" in six months, that is simply not true: It is common knowledge that these dealers charge more for the watches than they pay. That is how they make their money.