View Single Post
Old 25 April 2024, 02:34 AM   #10
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

If that is within spec, then GS specs are out of whack. That misalignment would bug the hell out of me.

I had a long, tortuous, saga with GS service and my Night Birch. Was running 17 spd fast out of the box. Sent it back to the AD, who verified that the watch was off, and sent the watch to GS in New Jersey, only for them to send it to Japan for adjustment.

It took nearly 6 months to get it back. Constant calling to the AD to check on status, no dice.

When I got it back, still fast, although less so. It was still around +14spd fast. They very nicely put in a card about watch magnetism, basically a passive aggressive way of saying that it was my fault (I guess).

After trying to live with it running that fast, I sent it back, but this time directly to GS service center in New Jersey. Them getting back to me got delayed because they were in the process of relocating their HQ.

Anyway, got the watch back, this time after a month and a half or so. Still fast, but manageably fast.

Apart from what I think is an issue with their dual impulse escapement design, causing it to run fast (I believe there are several threads on this subject, as well as other sources), I would confirm that GS is pretty spotty when it comes to servicing their watches. They do seem defensive and eager to blame the customer for things.

Your picture and the Hodinkee picture are eerily similar, which leads me to believe there is something about the movement that doesn't keep it straight at the 12. Maybe this happens upon usage of the chrono....like the gears don't align correctly.

But I assume GS will say "No, not my problem. Everything seems fine to me."