Thread: Why Bob Dylan.
View Single Post
Old 26 April 2024, 03:43 AM   #59
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Kind of almost by accident, I bought an album (the name escapes me at the moment) by a guy covering Burt Bacharach songs... he's actually a producer, not a performer, has a horrible gravely voice. It's not the voice really, it's the phrasing, the nuances, and of course the songs, orchestrations, etc. This is my professional music background and education talking I guess. It's about so much more than the voice. Tay-tay does not have a great voice, it's kind of thin and there's not much there, but she's a good writer, an excellent performer and a superlative marketing genius, IMHO.

So, back on point: there are a lot of revered artists out there that I just don't get. Dylan is one. Miles Davis, obviously very influential and revered, I don't care for at all. I've been watching a Netflix/Prime/whatever show on Wayne Shorter who I first discovered as part of Weather Report (which had the incomparable Jaco) and I recognize his genius but don't really care for much of his stuff...

Then you've got someone who is the epitome of campy, vanilla pop music, Mr. Barry Manilow himself, and I can listen to that stuff all day. Go figure.

At the Copa, Copa Cabana. Music and passion... come on boys, sing it with me!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote