View Single Post
Old 27 April 2024, 12:35 AM   #29
MickCollins1916
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Sounds like Adam is a great guy who knows watches and cost his employer their reputation and their medallions for some key brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I have a slightly different take, even tho I have no stake in anyone’s business here.

I blame the companies - whether it’s Rolex dropping little AD’s, like Edward Arthur in Columbia, MD a few years back, a place I really like dealing with - or Patek closing a door at Adler’s that had been open for 80 years or something.

On the one hand, I don’t blame the companies for wanting to sell really rich dudes (as opposed to say, most of us) what they want, since the wealthy might also buy tons of other stuff in addition to whatever the hot watch is…instead of having to deal with the masses and targeting that audience. On the other, it puts salespeople in impossible positions, having to say no 100x a day to folks who just want to buy a single watch.

As a customer, definite turn off when an AD I used to like dealing with - Reeds Jenss in my hometown of Buffalo - put in weird rules, like “we’ll only sell you watches on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, and only if you’re standing here in the flesh, and turn around 3x and spit…” or whatever BS they spouted when I popped in on a trip home and asked about a run of the mill YG DD40 awhile back. No thanks, not listening to whatever that nonsense was.

Thats why I personally have gotten bored with it all. I like watches, they’re not investments, but it has gotten far less fun over the years.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote