View Single Post
Old 28 December 2006, 06:11 AM   #37
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
Do you ride a trainer or rollers? I bought a Tacx last year and it made a huge difference in offseason fitness. I wasn't a big trainer fan but the Tacx fortius/imagic is worth the money without a doubt. I don't mind riding in the winter but it's the lack of light rather than the cold that keeps me off the road. Way too easy to get clipped by a car in the dark...
I've had the same rollers since 1978. Just replaced the bearings on them, and the belt, so I'm good to go. I hear you on the light issue. It's impossible to get out after work when it's dark before you even leave the office. Since I've moved to Ottawa, the snow is also a big hinderance, even for mountain biking.

Starting this weekend, it's on the rollers every other night. I may even run a bit to speed up the process. When I lived in Toronto, one winter was particularly mild and my partners and I trained mostly on mountain bikes all winter (probably put in 3000km between Dec 1 and mid-March) and that season was one of the best of my racing career. Funny how things like family obligations and even work can get in the way of having a good season.