View Single Post
Old 15 March 2010, 05:07 AM   #22
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Ken,

Can't say I agree with you entirely - many brands make $1mil watches - Hublot has the Million Dollar Bang, Genta has the Platinum Arena Tourbillon Perpetual, Greubel Forsey has the quattro tourb... I think it is about heritage of the brand name, no matter whose umbrella they're under. As long as the tradition is kept intact. Breguets are also all handmade (except the XXI) and some of their complications take over 3 years to make. They have quite a few models which are at or over $1mil (Fusee Tourbillon, Classique Grande Complication, the Bi-Tourbillon and quite a few others....) Since 2nd grade, when I got into this whole sickness, I knew about the 'Elite Four'.
Understood--I was just thinking why the watch collecting community has always looked at those 3 --and was looking for any other tangibles. Breguet has long been high quality and right up there--inventing the tourbillon as well as being a major part contributor in their springs. For me personally--I am not a fan of Patek and think they are overpriced when compared against VC, JLC, Breguet and Lange. AP is in totally different category --mostly sports watches besides their complicated watches. For me--all of those brands make great watches and I can take a few from each one of them and have a world class collection.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote