View Single Post
Old 12 April 2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd0lzz View Post
Hello Rolex Folks,

I actually joined rolexfoums about two years ago after my father generously gave me his 1986 168000 Submariner with Tiffany & Co. Dial (Purchased new from Tiffany's in November of 1987). Not knowing anything about Rolex watches, aside from their name and reputation, I decided to try to find out as much as I could about this watch. This is what I have learned. The double branding makes it more valuable to a collector. It being a 168000 rather than a 16800 illustrates the fact that the Stainless Steel used for the case was changed from grade 316 to grade 904. I have heard rumor that some of the 168000 and some of the 16800 models were prone to "spider cracking" on the dial due to a bad paint mixture. The watch that I have also has fallen victim to the "spider cracking" (although it is very subtle - actually looks kind of cool). So long story short, I have a double branded watch with oddball SS with an original "spider cracked" dial that could possibly be worth a fair amount of money. It would be nice to know its value even though I am not looking to sell this watch. It has a great deal of value to me on it's own. More importantly, I need to get it serviced. I can safely say that my father never had the watch serviced. With the exception of one lug pin, I know that the watch is 100% original, and I would like to keep it that way. Can anybody make some recommendations as to who should service this watch. I just want a service (lube, gaskets, etc...), that is it. I have heard that if I send it to Rolex, they might change the dial, hands, etc.... on me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I have heard good things about Bob Ridley in Texas)
Hello, nice piece...Do you have any better pics of the watch?
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote