View Single Post
Old 2 January 2011, 10:56 PM   #9
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPrimero View Post
There's currently a really interesting thread regarding the Grand Seiko.

Unbeknown to myself certain Seiko models can reach prices upwards of £100,000 and possess obvious 1st rate movements and build quality.

What interests me, is, though I've now been educated as to the brands quality, I personally, would never consider buying or investing in a Seiko, purely because of it's brand name and the widespread stigma that goes with it.
So my question is...

Price tag aside, would you ever consider buying Seiko over Rolex?
You just knew I'd reply !!

Seriously, what is the importance of the "brand name" on the dial? Give that some thought! Rolex is probably the best known "brand name" that non-WIS think of when they think of "luxury watches". Not disputing that.

What if, for discussion purposes, they were actually just "OK" watches; however, you buy into them b/c of public perception and want to be known as the guy with the Rolex watch!

From your above statement, one would think you fall into that category - brand name, stigma etc.

On the other hand, you have Seiko - wide range of styles and prices. The GS models, for discussion purposes are in similar price ranges of the SS Rolex models. As you are now educated in the quality of GS, why would you limit your possibilities of ownership b/c of the "Seiko" name and your perceived "stigma" ????

If you had said, I don't like the Seiko styling, size etc, etc, etc that would be a genuine, fair answer not open to discussion. But your reasons put you in the camp of why many WIS object to "Rolex Owners" not "Rolex the watch"

Any true WIS is open minded - they may love one brand or more. However, they don't base their dislikes on what others may think. IMHO, from your comments, I think you do - now don't get too excited - your comments seem to back this up !!

To answer your question,

1. there are some Seiko's I'd buy over certain Rolexs
2. there are some Rolex I'd buy over certain Seiko's
3. And I have ...