View Single Post
Old 16 April 2011, 08:40 PM   #46
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmeeker View Post
I, too, have attempted to discern the chronological time-line for, and the exact differences between, the various Explorer II models. I understand that the original 1655 was introduced in 1971, but the exact model-year dates for the 16550 and 16570 are unclear to me. I'm pretty sure that the sapphire crystal was introduced in 1986, but don't know if this was on the 16550 or the 16570 model. Finally, I've seen references to D, G, M, N, V and Z-Series (and probably others). Do these series designations simply refer to the year of manufacture, or are there specific features that distinguish one series from another? When did the orange 24-hour hand change from orange to red? When did the bracelets change? When was the super luminova paint added? When was the rehaut inscription added? I've searched the forum and web for clear answers to clear up this confusion, but have failed to find any definitive model and series historical time-line. Can anyone enlighten me?

Mucho Mahalo,
Roger
Kapoho, Hawaii
I can only answer a few of those questions - I'm not a full blown WIS yet. There are no official data as to when a certain series was produced but fans has but together lists online. The 1655 is the only model with an orange arrow shaped 24-hour hand. The 16550 has GMT shaped red hand but it is still fixed to the hour hand so it is a 24-hour hand. The 16570 has the same movement as the GMT 16710 so the 24-hour hand is actually an independent GMT hand. For the new model coming out this year 216570 the original 1655 hand has made a comeback, with a larger case and a new movement, 3187.

I think the change from tritium to luminova took place around 1998. The engraved rehaut started around 2007 on the EXP2 I think. For the 16570 there was also an updated movement 3186, for the models with the engraved rehaut and possible in some without the rehaut.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote