Thread: Routine service
View Single Post
Old 20 October 2007, 01:48 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike734 View Post
Well because I thought the watchmakers in BB are factory trained and certified. Am I wrong? Even if not, shouldn't they be able to handle a servicing? BTW it is being repaired a different BB right now.
Well...True, some AD watchmakers are "factory trained". But that may mean that they have gone through the week course offered by Rolex to ensure they are familiar with the movement etc., nothing more.

Now don't misunderstand.. I think that any good watchmaker can give a Rolex a proper clean, oil, and adjust service without any issues, and this should be done every few years. You went 10 years without a service. It was long past the time that parts were on metal-to-metal contact and some of the parts probably were out of tolerance and should have been replaced.

However, an AD usually sells many brands of watch and also takes whatever a customer brings in, so 90 % of their time may be spent on movements that there is no particular standard they need to work to, they just follow a routine.

If you're going to pay what a factory service costs, I would expect it to be serviced at the factory is all I'm saying.

If the "trained watchmaker" in the back room is doing the work, it shouldn't cost any more than the 75 bucks they charge for a Timex plus parts.
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote