View Single Post
Old 20 August 2012, 11:42 AM   #18
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Arclight View Post
Don't get me wrong. Breitling makes a nice watch. The Poster asks how does the Breitling COMPARE to the Rolex,ie fit and finish and VALUE.

YOU ARE PAYING for the movement. Breitlings are retail close to Rolex-buying one at Retail is,well, a losing proposition. Breitlings cases and bracelets are very nice-but the movement is a very basic run of the mill mass produced piece used by ALL members of the Swash Group as well as countless other watch "producer's" They aren't "Manufacture" movements (not counting their new in house movements.) They start as an ebauche(-like buying a shortblock from chevy for instance )and they decorate them and put them in their cases with little to no improvement.

So to ask how are Brietlings watches compared to Rolex- you have to include the movement. My point is compared to an in house free-sprungbalance with a Breguet overcoil as in the Rolex, the Eta although capable of good accuracy-does not represent Haute'Horology. The valjoux 7750 found in many chronographs is a very durable movement-that HAS PLASTIC PARTS. You don't expect this in a 5000 dollar watch.

From a durability standpoint the free-strung balance (like on Patek Philipe,Rolex and A/P) has no regulator that can be jarred free throwing off the watches timing. The late owner of the Swatch group Nicolas Hayek was credited saving the swiss watch industry back when quartz watches were the rave. His company invested heavily in microtechnology- other brands didn't. Breitling was one of the ones that didn't,now that the Group wants to NOT sell movements outside of the company this made them INVEST and build their own INHOUSE movements.

You buy the whole package and if you are going to pay Rolex money then buy Rolex quality and engineering. Yes Breitling's are nice. But IMO the engineering,testing,development and improving the art of watchmaking just does not compare.
Breitling makes a great watch and I hope to have a circa 2004 Navitimer in my collection one day. I think every collection should have one along with a Speedmaster Moon Watch.
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote