View Single Post
Old 1 September 2012, 11:27 PM   #1
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Boys Tudor Sub
Rolex News - Hot Off The Press - 9/1/12

"Greg Norman has now twice been snubbed by sponsor Rolex in recent weeks as part of what he calls a "deep and ugly story".

Norman, currently an ambassador for Swiss watchmaker Omega, is finding out that rival sponsor Rolex has little time for him.

The Australian was at Gleneagles on Monday to host a Johnnie Walker-sponsored clinic prior to making his way to Switzerland for this week's European Masters, but when rain prevented the clinic from going ahead he figured he'd head to the press room and watch Jose Maria Olazabal announce his two wild card picks for the European Ryder Cup team - of which Rolex is one of five sponsors.

The Omega man was told, however, that he was not welcome at the press conference.

"It's a long story but Rolex just wouldn't allow me to be present in the room," Norman told Golfinternationalmag.com.

"What was annoying is that Jose Maria and I have been mates for 30 years, and besides he later came up to me to apologise for what happened.

"He just wanted me to know that it wasn't him who didn't want me in the press conference.

"Of course, I was in Scotland for Johnnie Walker and they're one of the Ryder Cup and Tour sponsors, so it's a deep and ugly story."

It's not the first time Norman has found himself at odds with the watchmaker. He was also told he was not welcome to participate in the British Senior Open Pro-Am, and this at the course where he won the 1986 Open Championship.

Incidentally, the official name of the tournament is now 'The Senior Open presented by Rolex'.

Norman was reluctant to go into any depth, but said: "It would be too much energy to go into it but Rolex actually had me removed from the Pro-Am, so that's when it all started," he said.

"I'm disgusted by it all and it's never ever happened before in my entire life."

OK, Dear Rolex Experts on TRF - WTF - Why would Rolex do this to Norman? He is a great golfer, a great guy, highly respected and also makes some pretty decent wine. So, What's The Story?????

DrLindaPhD is offline   Reply With Quote