View Single Post
Old 8 September 2012, 09:29 PM   #59
iain.cx

Watch: 16710
Disclaimer: The only place I've actually spent money with is Watchfinder. I have had some minor experience with some of the other businesses mentioned here.

Armour-Winston
They had a 114270 in very good condition. The salesman was polite and friendly and answered my questions about the watch to my satisfaction. I didn't buy because the price wasn't right. Later I went back to ask about an insurance valuation and though they couldn't provide one the (same) salesman was again polite and helpful.

Second Time Round
Had a 114270 for sale at a better price. When I inspected it I found a fairly noticeable crack in the crystal. The grumpy old bloke described above claimed that it was just dirty, despite the fact that I could fit a fingernail into the crack. He also had some other pieces which weren't too unfavourably priced but which he displayed little enthusiasm for anwering questions about.

On the plus side he offered to fix the bezel insert on my GMT. I'd taken it out to realign it but couldn't get it back in. Unfortunately he couldn't get it back in either.

Watch Club
Not cheap but polite and helpful. They showed me an IWC Pilot Chrono and Explorer 2 and didn't try to give me the hard sell. Also Justin there was able to fix my bezel insert at no charge. Tip of the hat to him.

Watchfinder
They had the 114270 at a good price. Very polite when I called up to ask about it. They offered to reserve it for me if I put down a fully refundable deposit so I did and then made an appointment to inspect and eventually buy the watch the following Saturday.

The watch was running quite fast. I eventually got the always excellent Russell Talerman to regulate it. He said that it looked as though it needed a service, which surprised me because part of the appeal of Watchfinder is that their pieces are supposed to come pre-serviced. I called Watchfinder and repeated what Russell told me. Fair play to them, they immediately apologised and offered a free service if I was still unsatisfied. Following the regulation the watch is running fine so it may just be that Russell's standards are higher than Watchfinder's. If I have any further problems I will take them up on their offer.

David Duggan
Could be the shop described by an earlier poster as "on the left near the end" of Burlington Arcade. I went in to ask about the insurance valuation and a regulation. The gentleman said that they would only provide valuations for pieces they had sold, which I suppose is fair enough. He also refused to regulate the 114270 on the basis that +8s per day was "within spec." That statement is not only wrong it's irrelevant. I left in a foul mood.
iain.cx is offline   Reply With Quote