View Single Post
Old 14 November 2012, 11:44 AM   #84
rvmeeker
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Rolesium -- a platinum alloy?

Mucho congrats on the purchase of the new cobalt blue-dialed Yacht-Master. I've worn a SS Submariner for 22 years and running (still never opened or serviced, runs every day), but have seriously considered getting a Yacht-Master for the past several years. The only thing that held me back was my lack of enthusiasm for the platinum-colored dial face. To me, it made the watch just too monochromatic, and I never could pull the trigger. I always wished Rolex would offer a white or blue dial. Now that I've seen pictures of this cobalt blue face, I'm frankly blown away. A true stunner, my dream-come-true watch, and I hope to retire my trusty Sub soon ...

Meanwhile, does anyone here know much about the case material? The initial reporting of this watch said that the Oyster case is apparently made of Rolesium, "an alloy of 904L stainless steel developed by Rolex". Assuming that the bezel is still platinum, are we to conclude that the total platinum content is higher than the standard platinum-dialed/platinum-bezeled Yacht-Master? Does anyone have a link that offers any information on this?

Finally, has anyone heard retail price numbers for this model from US dealers?
rvmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote