View Single Post
Old 22 November 2012, 01:45 PM   #53
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Correct Carl....There is a reason a 5070J sells for 100% over it's last retail price and the 5170J sells for 25% below. It all comes down to taste but as for collectibility that is a different story and the market tells the story.
Well considering that the percentage differences you mention places those two watches at almost the same price, I don't think it says much except that people start acting bizarre when a watch is being discontinued. Likewise, used/grey dealers tend to raise old model Patek prices as the newest models increase in price. In this case the combo of a discontinued watch and rising prices has resulted in more silliness than usual. My friend has a mix of four or five used and new 5070s at his store for those inflated prices. He hasn't sold any at those prices; I keep checking and they are all on the website still!

Personally, I don't get what the fuss is about for a movement Patek didn't 100% make, except that people panic when a watch is discontinued, and hope to cash in on it somehow. Rarity, perhaps, but for a non-in-house piece it seems ludicrous to me. Though, it doesn't meet my collecting criteria, and thus is of no value to me, so I guess I am unfairly biased. I wouldn't buy a Zenith Dayona either!
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote