View Single Post
Old 25 January 2013, 05:38 PM   #35
classicwatchparts

Watch: 5510 Submariner
Band restoration Part 2

As promised this is Chapter 2 of the band restoration manual

Today we continue on the modern day solid links jubilee band since we are on the same machine as yesterday.

See Pic 1. Essentially same machine, but the black gripping claws are changed. The Jub links have a different curvature to the oyster links so a special set is machined. There is only a small gap beteeen the 2 center links of a jubilee band and this is where we insert the tool to pull it open.

Pic 2 Shows the process of turning the knob that slowly expand the 2 claws.

Pic 3 Shows the first link openened.

Now the work starts.

Essentially when you look at Pic 4. It shows the 2 pins of a Jub link. On the right is the untouched pin, as you can see the 3 center links grinding on it leaving grooves on the pin. As we are to preserve as much original parts as possible we will not replace the pins unless absolutely required.

For this particular band it is not so bad, so a metal sleeve/tube is inserted on the left hand pin to renforce it and to also make it thicker so it will reduce the gap between links when we reassemble the link. Repaeat this process 20 times and you are done for one Jubilee Band. Then it goes thru the polishing wheel and nylon wheel for the satin finish.

No so difficult right?

Just FYI with my slow fingers for this demo, it took me roughly 20 mins to disassemble this link and put it back.

Preview:

In the next couple of chapters I will go through the restoration of a Folded link and a Rivet link band. Both from a restoration technique point of view are essentially the same.

Stay tuned
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jub1.jpg (53.4 KB, 3049 views)
File Type: jpg jub 2.jpg (50.8 KB, 3041 views)
File Type: jpg jub3.jpg (54.9 KB, 3041 views)
File Type: jpg jub4.jpg (48.0 KB, 3042 views)
classicwatchparts is offline   Reply With Quote