View Single Post
Old 7 January 2014, 03:41 AM   #88
steve53mg
"TRF" Member

Back in 1965, my dad bought me a Sub in Luzerne, for a $106.00. I believe he bought it at Bucherer, because, during the same trip, he bought himself a Bucherer gold dress watch with a mesh band. My Rolex was the smaller case...i guess it would be safe to call it a "James Bond". I remember clearly, at the time, In the U.S., Rolex was selling this smaller watch, which they referred to as 17 jewels, for $175.00 and the larger case with the crown protectors, which they referred to as 23 jewels, for $210.00.
I never had any luck with the watch; it always ran slow...lost a minute or more a day, and I used to send it back to Rolex in NYC every couple of years, to no avail. They finally told me that they no longer would be able to service it, it had too much wear and parts were scarce. Needless to say, this was very disappointing! I eventually found a guy off of 5th ave in NYC, named Don Laviano, who was able to get it to run reasonably well, but only for a short time. It languished in my drawer until about 1990 when I sold it for $400. I wish that I had it now!!
steve53mg is offline   Reply With Quote