View Single Post
Old 17 August 2014, 10:12 PM   #44
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk75 View Post
Thanks, I do welcome opinions from anyone who is knowledgeable.

So anyone who does refinishing for rolex cases should have a lapping machine? I presume that RSC do have them because they refinishes so many casing everyday?
All of the Rolex Service Centres have a lapping machine to refinish Sports cases properly, although most Independants dont. I think there are only a couple in the Uk that have a Rolex Accredited one that costs in excess of £15k I am told maybe slightly more that Rolex actually supply with a course of training and refresher courses.But its a strange situation as the Independants that do not have this machine pretty mush polish in the standard way and still keep their Rolex Accreditation so its a bit of a grey area in my book .There maybe are a few that use a non Rolex accredited lapping machine, there are a few on the market these days but I do not know which ones that do .

`How do you do this? On most watches that has been polished, even most of the "unpolished" ones I see here, the holes show signs of polishing.

If I were to do this myself, I would deem it necessary to fill the hole first with something of similar hardness before polishing. Maybe even weld the hole shut and then carefully drilling it out when finished? `

With the Lug holes, when the case side is polished compound builds up in the hole and is constantly moved through the hole and ground round and round in the recess which causes the hole to get slightly bigger and rounded off. Lapping pretty much avoids this issue although it will never be the same as a freshly drilled hole. If you polish with compound then filling the hole with a hard but drillable filler would be the only way to go but a lot of messing around in my opinion;-)
Watchcollectables is offline   Reply With Quote